Thread: new to the site

Default new to the site

I'm new to the site and shopping for a used duramax 2500. First off, do all duramax trucks come standard w/ allison trans? Next, what do I need to look for in used ones and what year models are the best/worst.

Arrow

Welcome to the board!

Up through 2005, you could get the ZF-6 speed manual. From 2006 on, the Allison was the only trans available in the 2500/3500 series Duramax diesel equipped pickups.

The 2006 LBZ seems to be the best choice for a used truck, but the various model years have their advantages and and sometimes disadvantages. With the 2006, you also get the 6-speed Allison with manual selection option on the shift lever. In my humble opinion, there are no "worst" model years - just some a little better than others.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Welcome to the board!

Up through 2005, you could get the ZF-6 speed manual. From 2006 on, the Allison was the only trans available in the 2500/3500 series Duramax diesel equipped pickups.

The 2006 LBZ seems to be the best choice for a used truck, but the various model years have their advantages and and sometimes disadvantages. With the 2006, you also get the 6-speed Allison with manual selection option on the shift lever. In my humble opinion, there are no "worst" model years - just some a little better than others.

Jim
    What Jim said also applies to the 07 Classic LBZ as well.
    2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD, EC, SB, 4x4 LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamod Eye Downpipe, MBRP 4" Cat Delete Pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, GoodYear 265/75R 16E, Eagle Alloy 16"x8" wheels, Autometer EGT/Boost gauges, 50 gal in bed aux fuel tank.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

My 2005 is my favorite truck/chassis

My 2007 is my favorite powertrain pkg to drive

My 2002 is of course my favorite Dmax toy.

I REALLY wish I had special ordered a 2007 classic 3500 SRW in Sandstone. Truth is, I may just have to convert my 2005 to the LBZ powertrain. The 08 + powertrain is every bit as good or better than the LBZ, but I haven't warmed up to the interior or body just yet.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!