Thread: 2004 Duramax Fuel Pump Location

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2004 Duramax Fuel Pump Location

Hi, does anyone knows where does the fuel pump is located on my car? It stalled a couple of days ago and havent been able to get it running again, I checked on the main fuel line and no fuel is getting to the common rail control unit so I want to check on the fuel pump but dont know its location on the car, any ideas would be really appreciated.

thanks

Arrow

The pump is located in the engine valley (between the heads, at the front). Don't worry about it or mess with it, just yet. If you have stalling or no start issues, it's probably air in the system. Try pumping the primer (pump on the filter housing) until it is very hard to pump. Then, try to start again. If it starts, check for air suction leaks at the filter or filter housing. Most often, it's a poorly sealed filter element. A failed fuel filler cap can also cause stalling and no start problems (it needs to vent properly or it will create more vacuum in the system than the pump can handle).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

thank you, will do so and I will let you know what happens......

"What he said", plus a couple questions:

1) How many miles on your truck?
    2) When was the fuel filter last changed?
    3) What was the outside temperature when the stall occurred?

Take a minute to fill out your profile and signature block (User CP / Signature / Profile) with personal and truck details like you see on other posts. It will help with the basic info needed, and give us some clues like whether you live in Arizona or Canada.

Good luck!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    "What he said", plus a couple questions:

1) How many miles on your truck?
    2) When was the fuel filter last changed?
    3) What was the outside temperature when the stall occurred?

Take a minute to fill out your profile and signature block (User CP / Signature / Profile) with personal and truck details like you see on other posts. It will help with the basic info needed, and give us some clues like whether you live in Arizona or Canada.

Good luck!
    My truck has 61,526 miles, the fuel filter was changed about a month ago and the temperature was about 26 degrees Celsius when it stalled, I live in Honduras, Central America.

The fuel lift pump is integral to the CP3 injection pump - it draws fuel from the tank thru the filter anytime the crankshaft is turning, and can manage this with an empty filter, but may take some time to fill the filter element when cranking the engine - best procedure is to prime the empty filter with the primer pump, then bleed any trapped air, then prime again till the pump is difficult to push, then try starting the engine, as suggested - may take a few cranks to clear the air between the filter and the CP3

That's why some have installed an auxilliary electric lift pump in the system, between the tank and the filter
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

you shoudnt have to reprime the injection pump (cp3) duramax has a self priming
    rail and injectors i'd check the fuel filter one time mine lost prime from a bad filter seal. spinn a new one on and see what that dose

Correct, once you get fuel thru the lift pump - rail and injectors are the 1600 bar high pressure side - far cry from the 20"HG vacuum inlet of the lift pump - max output from there is 180psi to the Inj Pump - gotsta prime the fuel filter head - CP3 will pump air for a while, otherwise - it's low volume medium pressure to low volume high pressure

Since he's been cranking for awhile with no fuel to the rail, it likely won't start immediately after he primes the filter
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck