Thread: Changed up the extended cab

Default Changed up the extended cab

I've got an extended cab, but it's pretty useless with the rear seat for my uses.

Never carry any passengers, just me and the missus. We use a different car when we go to visit my daughter.

But I've got dogs, three of 'em. The short rear seat can barely fit two of them let alone 3.

On our last trip, I decided to take the seat out. The floor is not flat (as everyone knows) so it's nearly useless for dogs.

I built a nice flat platform for the pups which also afforded me some storage underneath. Once it was in, I needed a hatch to get to the jack and I threw another one on the other side for storage access. There's actually a surprising amount of room under it. It's also great for hiding stuff I leave in the truck from sight. Out of sight out of mind as they say......at least for smash and grab thieves that is......

It worked so well, I decided to leave it in. But I couldn't have a plywood platform in the back, that's just a bit too hillbilly (no offense intended to anyone) for me.

So today, I finished it off with a bit of carpeting:

I've got a nice foam mat (like the anti vibration kind you stand on) cut to shape to throw on it just to keep it a bit cleaner when the dogs are in there.

It looks a little dark and the camera messed up the color a bit. I chose the darker grey as that's close to darker two tone color leather that the interior is getting.

I think it turned out pretty good over all.

Last edited by greatwhite; 07-15-2012 at 17:52.
    1998 k2500

Nice job. Been thinkiing of the same thing. Now I have a better idea as what it would look like.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Cool

It looks nice. Like it was a standard rear seat delete option.

Now you need to post a pic of your dogs... hint hint
    2003 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed LB7
    Project: 1968 GTO
    2001 Golf GL TurboDirectInjection

Sure, here they are in thier natural habitat;

The pup:

The big boys:

The pup is a foster that we couldn't part with after a couple weeks. He's a pure mutt, but he looks like mostly lab/husky/rottie. Might top 50 pounds full grown. The other is a Bordie collie but big for the breed at just over 65 lbs. The big guy is a great Dane/sheppard cross and just shy of 100 lbs, all muscle and not a mean bone in his body....
    1998 k2500

That is a good idea, I need to do this to mine, our dog & piggy need something other the seat.....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook