Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transmission cooler lines - leaking AGAIN

It must be the cold air. We don't have those leaks in Georgia, so far anyway.

Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

With the weather we have been having for the last few days I check mine every day.

This morning it is 18*F and with the wind chill it is 8*. Yesterday at 7 AM with the wind chill it was 0*. I have my fingers crossed that mine will not start leaking.
    Barry USN (Ret)
    07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 60K mi, Edge Evo Race w/cts, EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, Helmholtz Plug, DE Down Pipe and Quiet Tone 4" TB Exh, TransGo Jr, Allison Deep Pan, Suncoast Filter Lock, PPE Airbox Mod, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, Undercover Tonnau, H2 Wheels, 285 Tera Grapplers, Fab Four Rear Bumper, Weather Tech SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Garmin Nuvi 1490T, Pintle Hook, PPE Tie Rod sleeves, Cognito Pit/Idler Arm Braces, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filters
    06 Jetta 1.9L TDI,DSG, RC 1+ tune,EGR Delete, M101A2 3/4 ton trailer,NRA Benefactor Member

Well I lied in my earlier post. While under the right front of my truck a bit ago looking for a dropped wrench that didn't come out, I saw a red fluid leak. I guess I'm in the same boat as the rest of you now. @#$%%$#@
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Angry 06' 2500HD trans cooler line leaks!

HELP!!!

Thanks for any help- Just found this sight and its really been helpful!- Just got my truck back from estimate at dealership - 35,000 miles & cooler lines leaking again- Had 1 changed while under warrty - Not so lucky now- They say it will be $760. to change all 3 lines -Anybody know what is involved in the fix - I'll fix myself using the updated hoses!! - Are the lines ends standard or do you need special GM tools - 1st time fix on my own, so any help would be REALLY appreciated --- Thanks,, George

Angry transmission cooler lines

after today i think it is time for a class action lawsuit against gm.

i have had my truck for just over four years, love the truck. today my lines are leaking again, this is the fourth time. the first two times they were replaced under warrenty. last year the mechanic told us new and improved lines were used. i fought with gm and finally i had to pay for the parts and they covered the labor, we will see what tomorrow brings. i only have 117 kms on this truck and it has never been driven hard, but find it a little much that everytime it gets cold i am forking out a pile more money for something that has supposedly been fixed before. i think this is a problem with gm., they need to stand up to the line and fix what they sell. i paid 62 thousand for this truck and have had nothing but headaches with this line. when i talked to gm today the question i got was what do you want us to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cafritz View Post
    the question i got was what do you want us to do.
    If you paid for the parts and the dealer installed them (regardless of who paid the labor) they should be guaranteed for one year or 12000 miles.

I suspect that if you cut the swedged sleeve off and put a $1 hose clamp on instead the leak would stop.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    If you paid for the parts and the dealer installed them (regardless of who paid the labor) they should be guaranteed for one year or 12000 miles.

I suspect that if you cut the swedged sleeve off and put a $1 hose clamp on instead the leak would stop.
    amazingly i am three weeks over the one year warrenty period. i will repost tomorrow after i have had the truck to the shop and let everyone know what they say. thanks for the hint tho

How outragious to buy a truck costing more than double my first house cost and you're all having leaking transmission lines. Bet their supplier is China. I remember reading an article by Parker Hannifins talking about all the junk hoses flooding the market a few years back and no quality control whatsoever. They were cautioning people to be very careful where they purchased their made up hoses and lines from. Perhaps GM wasn't listening. Makes me glad I'm hanging on to my 02 dmax. Got 170,000 or so miles was in 8 degrees F cold a few months back for a couple of weeks. Never has a hose or line leaked. I think Parker is making some of the best hoses.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Took the wife out looking for a new/used Tahoe past weekend. We looked at about 6-8 trucks. All from 05-08 EVERY ONE of them had leaking hoses! Some were leaking worse than others, but they all were leaking too.

To my untrained eye, these are different hoses than the Dmax, but they are leaking too. What gives? Though I haven't done it yet, I'm going to make the compression fittings for mine and try that. Not going to pay for inferior parts again!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Well mine finally started leaking It was never a thought that they wouldn't start leaking it was always when. I have decided to use a new kit out. I don't know if it is inappropriate on this forum to name the vender. I have the kit it looks great and I will be installing it this afternoon.
    Barry USN (Ret)
    07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 60K mi, Edge Evo Race w/cts, EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, Helmholtz Plug, DE Down Pipe and Quiet Tone 4" TB Exh, TransGo Jr, Allison Deep Pan, Suncoast Filter Lock, PPE Airbox Mod, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, Undercover Tonnau, H2 Wheels, 285 Tera Grapplers, Fab Four Rear Bumper, Weather Tech SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Garmin Nuvi 1490T, Pintle Hook, PPE Tie Rod sleeves, Cognito Pit/Idler Arm Braces, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filters
    06 Jetta 1.9L TDI,DSG, RC 1+ tune,EGR Delete, M101A2 3/4 ton trailer,NRA Benefactor Member

Default Line Repair

If your repair kit is from all seasons by chance I installed the aluminun line repair kits over a month ago and have been in some -20 temps with no issues. So far they have worked great. You do have to remove the existing lines from the radiator and aux transmission cooler- suggest getting an extra line retaining clip or two from the dealer before you begin the install they are easy to lose

Ed, it is not Tony's kit. This is the Alligator kit and includes all new hoses and fittings.
    Barry USN (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by Quack_Addict View Post
    I have heard GM issued a bulletin last year relative to leaky transmission lines on our trucks, specifically identifying 2006-2009 model year vehicles. Within that bulletin, they indicate the concern (line leaks) are more prevalent in the cold.

GM released new transmission lines in service that are supposed to be better than the old ones.

20759971 - Pipe Assy, Upper / outlet ($28.07)
    20759972 - Pipe Assy, Lower / inlet ($25.60)
    20759973 - Hose Assy, Trans Fluid Aux Inlet ($20.46)

My 2006 has developed a line leak with 45k miles on it. I went around the bush with the stealership yesterday about this and the service manager said the best they can do is get GM to pay for the parts if I pay the estimated $270 to R&R the effected lines. What a deal (sarchasm)... I suspect the dealer was going to eat the cost of the line/s just to get some billable labor on the clock.

Funny how a powertrain leak isn't covered by a powertrain warranty... but hey, they finally 'fixed' my intermediate steering shaft the 4'th time in for the same issue. If this is the way of 'the new GM', my `06 was my last new GM purchase.

I have one hose leaking. I emailed gmpartsdirect cause I could not figure out the microfiche. They sent me these numbers for the 3 lines.

Thank you for your emailed inquiry to us at www.GmPartsDirect.com. We look forward to receiving your order. I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below are the part numbers requested.
    20835127 Automatic transmission fluid auxiliary cooler inlet hose.
    20835123 Automatic transmission fluid lower cooler inlet hose.
    20759971 Automatic transmission fluid upper cooler outlet hose.

Quack, these differ from your part numbers. Are they giving me the old part numbers instead of the new and improved version?

BTW: It's only like $80 for all 3 lines at gmpartsdirect. The local Allison service center said they would install them 1 1/2 hr labor @ $90 / hr

Here is a DIY write up I did on another forum and you can see the Alligator kit.

It has been installed now for about 2500 miles and I have towed about 1200 mi with it. No leaks, works great.
    Barry USN (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    They sent me these numbers for the 3 lines.

20835127 Automatic transmission fluid auxiliary cooler inlet hose.
    20835123 Automatic transmission fluid lower cooler inlet hose.
    20759971 Automatic transmission fluid upper cooler outlet hose.
    The 3 numbers I got late last fall were:

Your third number has been superseded.

I paid under $100 including shipping. If you can get them installed for $90, that's a bargain in my book.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by mmcm267 View Post
    Here is a DIY write up I did on another forum and you can see the Alligator kit.

It has been installed now for about 2500 miles and I have towed about 1200 mi with it. No leaks, works great.
    I can't find this Alligator Trans line kit anywhere. Can someone provide a link.
    Eddie
    ---------
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD CC/LB (LBZ)
    211,000 miles / DVD player
    Kennedy Diesel Tuned Computer
    Manually extended towing mirrors
    Winter Grill Cover/screen
    Tough Country front bumper
    12,000# Warn Winch
    KC Fog Lights
    KC 130w Driving Lights
    Bradford Built Flatbed
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    More things covered by crochet than I'll admit.

Found this https://www.alligatorperformance.com...n-repair-lines

Kinda looks like what was being talked about

And yes my 06 with 56k on it just got bit by this with 27 degree weather.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I looked at doing my own kit years back, but never really followed through.

This here is the only kit that I have seen that I would consider using:

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-15131...n-6-speed.html

A bunch of hydraulic hose is NOT the answer.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!