Thread: 6.2 G30 Broken Alternator Bolt in Head

Default 6.2 G30 Broken Alternator Bolt in Head

6.2 G30 Van / Motorhome Broken Alternator Bolt in Head

This is the Pivot bolt that is on the bottom of the alternator that the vacuum pump integrates with.

I got a variable angle drill and a reverse 1/4 bit. Center punched it & i couldn't make any head way on drilling.

I got the bit from northern Tool? Is that my problem?

I've since moved over an hour away so my tanks / welding set for that method isn't easy.

Question: Is there a drill bit that will make a difference in drilling in out?

Fast slow?

As it's a 26' motor towing to my new shop is a problem ~

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

81 Malibu ~ 75 Vega Wagon

Lecanto, Florida

Well, this may be a stupid question, but, are you sure you are turning the bit the right way? (Are you sure it's really a reverse bit?)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Hey John,
    It is a reversible drill

Yes left... tried both ways....
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Bridge View Post
    ......I got the bit from northern Tool? Is that my problem?......
    Yes, simply. You can get the same thing at HFT for 1/4 the cost, and it will (not) work just as well.

Spend a few bucks and get a good bit. Use carbon steel bits (not high speed steel), as they can be removed if broken in the head or bolt. HSS is harder than a bit you'll try to use to remove a broken bit. Carbon steel can be chiseled out in pieces.

You need to get some heat on it (propane torch is OK, as hot as it will get), then a crayon (or wax, petro, not soy) to wick into the threads to ease removal. Use the LH bit once it cools to the touch, but not cold. Turn it slow.

If the drilling doesn't work, use a "normal" cobalt bit and spiral EZ-Out. The straight/square EZ-out is not something to break off in a head. Only chance after that is cutting torch (heat to white, blow it out with the O2), drill, thread tap, and Heli-coil. Using the torch to remove the bolt won't blow up the cast iron head, but it will kill the threads. On a rare occasion, only chasing the threads works.

Remember when cutting (drill/tap)....
    Lubricate steel. Keep cast iron completely dry. Go slow.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thumbs up Guilty as Charged

Thanks for confirming. I sometimes think of Northern Tool as it's more Marketing sophisticated cousin.

But my truck was an hour & 1/2 away & NAPA was closed.

Yep desperate.

Is it safe to get one from NAPA or is their a specific brand you recommend?

& for getting me back in alignment with my thinking & the steps I should take.

PS ~ just hard to get to as it's in the van front end & room is minimal.
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida

Arrow

I have no idea what Napa has, or the quality of what you'll get. You may do better at other parts store chains (or better yet, a local independent, which usually carries much higher quality tools), or big box stores (Lowe's, HD, Walmart, etc.). When quality is unknown, go for warranty, and replace as necessary. Once a bit doesn't cut, it doesn't matter where it came from.

Tight quarters demands specialty tools. A right-angle drill would likely be what you need to even the conditions. Drilling is much more than just punching holes, especially with hardened steel. Steady and straight is what is needed, and it's near impossible in tight quarters with handheld tools. Patience is a virtue. We do the best we can and rely on some dumb luck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default I have got to have some dumb luck

If it weren't for dumb luck I'd have no luck at all~

Hmm I was thinking NAPA but there is a Lowes around the corner......

Thanks!
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida

I know your welder is a little ways away but welding a nut to the broken part will be the safest way and more than likely the only way, the stud may be somewhat jamed now.. and center punch the stud before you start drilling or the bit will walk off the side..
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Question; did you just pick this up off of Craigslist, or are you the guy that’s been listing it for the last couple months? Because I’ve been watching the ad wondering if I’m going to pull the trigger as my Champion Transvan has turned in to a bit of a dead end rusted up project.

Snap On has reverse twist cobalt?bits that work good.
    I havn't broke one off,but if you do i imagine they would be a biotch to deal with.I have removed a bunch of broken bolts with mine.
    One out of three need a remover.My guess to the real world amount that i have removed.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default I am that fool

I am that fool ~ Owned for years - Message me

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
    Question; did you just pick this up off of Craigslist, or are you the guy that’s been listing it for the last couple months? Because I’ve been watching the ad wondering if I’m going to pull the trigger as my Champion Transvan has turned in to a bit of a dead end rusted up project.
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida

Thanks Yukon
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida

Glad to help...
    Success ?
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

My G30 is in Holiday & I Moved 75 Miles North (The big D)

Probably gonna have here towed up in the next day or so. Triple AAA RV

I'll probably get some snap to attempt the drill out..... may be a couple of weeks or so....
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

Lecanto, Florida