Thread: Nissan Pathfinder gas to diesel

Exclamation Nissan Pathfinder gas to diesel

Hi. I apologize in advance if this has been posted before. there is no search bar and way too many pages to go through. not really enough time

I live in Canada, and i am looking to drive a 1999-2004,2005 Nissan Pathfinder with a diesel engine. To swap diesel Nissan engine into a gas Nissan body. It might have been easier to import one (nissan terrano) from Japan, but first it would be interesting to swap an engine as a learning experience, and second Canadian Laws require for a car to be 15+ years old to import. and i think now it is very tough to import or you cannot import right hand drive cars at all. anyway the question is:

Has anyone done it yet?
    what are pros and cons of this conversion?
    what will it need? ( reconstruction of engine bay, harnesses, fuel tanks, fuel lines, fuel management systems and so on)
    what are approximate costs of this conversion?
    will transmission from gas engine fit diesel engine? (auto and/or manual)

thank you for your replies

Tough to provide an answer. Generally, we tend to focus on the GM vehicles and GM diesel engines, but all diesel conversions are of interest.

In general, I would try first to acquire a diesel engine package produced for the model year Nissan you have - if a diesel was installed in this vehicle in other markets. This would provide the easiest path to conversion. Just acquire everything that is diesel related - wiring harnesses, engine/trans, control modules, fuel tank sender and lines, engine accessories, radiator (if different), etc.

If you can't go that direction, then I'd look at the more popular diesel engine packages available here in North America - like the VW, or Jeep Liberty diesels. www.tdiclub.com has a conversion section on their site for the VW engine packages.

Jim

This swap should be fairly easy. The engine itself is readily available from a bunch of suppliers here in Canada and they are usually offered with the trans. There is a dealer in BC that specializes in this kind of thing. Will try to find his link.

Wiring and computers will be the challange as the bits should be readily available if the bodies are the same. More a logistical problem than the physical conversion. Just stick with like years and models.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

I to am going to convert a 06 pathfinder to diesel. has any one gone thru this yet?

Default Nissan Pathfinder gas to diesel

Pathfinders exist already with Nissan Diesel motors in other markets. Find same Nissan engine, then no engine bay cutting, it will fit right in.

Some accessories might differ.

Hi Novicediesel
    You can import newer vehicles into Canada,but they have to be OK'ed by RIV which is Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
    If you go to their website and look up the vehicle you want to import it will tell you if it is allowed.I'v got a small wrecking yard out back of my shop and i have only ended up with 1 out 0f 100 that they wouldn't allow to be put on the road.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews