Thread: Transmission Limp mode

Red face

On highway last night...Just cruising no trailer and the tranny went into limp mode again. Did this 1 other time (at 20000 miles) backing out of my driveway and dealer fixed under warranty.

Will this be covered under drivetrain warranty? I have 52000 now?

Thanx
    Jim
    2001 Chevy 3500 Ext Cab (white), Duramax Diesel, Allison Tranny, K&N Breather.

Well after towing truck hom last night behind a Dodge I woke up this morning and go out to drive to dealer and no light and everythings working fine.

Taking it to dealer to see what the code was set.

Will advise when I get more info.

Jim

I hope it all works out for ya.
    2002 D/A 4x4 Charcoal Gray Crew Cab. 285\'s and lovin it<br />Predator<br />JK 4\" exhaust installed

You probably could have reset the mode yourself. My experience has shown that if you go into limp, just shut the truck down for a bit. Start it back up and you should be back in business.

imported_ Guest

Red face

My truck went into limp mode wed morning. I started up the truck and had no gear select on the dash. I counted the four detents over hit the "go pedal", truck reved to 3 grand, and bang, squeeled the tires, took off like a bat out of hell. Set the check engine light, and stuck in third. stealer has had the truck for two days and can't get it out of limp mode, even after pcm/tcm dump and reprogram.

go figure

last good weekend for duck hunting and no rig, stealer gave me a cavileer that I loaded up ALL my gear (dog crate, 8 doz dekes, blind, waders, guns, ammo) out in the parking lot. Service manager came over to ask me what I was doing. I told him I was getting ready for the weekend and asked what number I should call when I get this (pointing to car) POS stuck.

he is setting up a meeting with me in the morning to try and get me another truck for the weekend.

cheers

Brad

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

big blue,

The gear selector indicator not displaying properly is a symtom of a bad NSBU Nuetral Safety backup switch (I think I got that right). Also causes the trans to malfunction. It's the black unit mounted on the side of the Allison that the shifter cable goes into. They do fail once in a while, especially if they get wet or accumulated snow/ice on them.

BTW: Recently read an article about the Allison 1000,2000,2400 Series. Mentioned that if the shift cable misadjusted or worn and sloppy it could cause a trans failure. Apparently proper shift detent position is critical.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

ahhhhhhhh sounds like my truck is on its way to a bad NSBU switch--- )&)(*&^)&) it, guess I have to call the dealer tomorrow, and get one ordered, maybe 1 of the 2 will have 1 in stock, and can get me in... wonder if I have to pay- what's my transmission warranty?? 36K??? bummer if it is..trucks birthday is coming up next week, and were over 40K...whoohoo...

Brandy
    2001 2500 HD D/A <br />Crew Cab,SB PEWTER <p>No problems current cept the wonderful custom paint \"decals\" she received as part of her 10 day stay at the wonderful dealers- where 91 and 89 meet in New Hampshire- STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind also that you may have a bad valve body. Had one myself at ~20,000 miles last summer. Replaced it, and no problems since. Sitting on ~85,000 miles now.
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

Red face

Let me tell you about trip to dealer.

I woke up this morning and tranny had reset itself but thought I would take it in anyway. Can't afford to broken down in the middle of nowhere.

I had had the truck in earlier for same problem and they replaced the valve body. At the same time they noticed a small leak from pan gasket but did not have one in stock so they ordered it and told me they would call when it got in. Of course they never called and I forgot about it until I took it in today.

So I talked to the first "Service Advisor" and told him the problem and that I would like to get the pan gasket fixed also. He says I have to talk to original "Service Advisor" that handled this before. So he pages him and disappears. 15 minutes later I'm still waiting when a lady comes up and asks if I had been helped, I told her I was waiting for so and so. She says, hes right there (10' away from me). I'm getting a bit perturbed now.

I go to him and he looks up from his desk and says Yah what can I do for you? I then tell him the other guy told me I had to talk to him. He says "yah, whats the problem?" So I again explain it to him and also tell him this is the 2nd time its been here for same problem and to please dig alittle deeper to get this fixed for good because I didn't want to broken down in the middle of nowhere again. He looks at me and says "Trucks break down, theres nothing we can do about it". I almost blow my stack but figure that will not do much good. I tell him that I have Transynd in tranny and that if they have to change the fluid to make sure and put that back in. He huffs and writes it down on his desk pad (not even a work order, a desk pad). I then tell him that I want the pan gasket replaced that they had never called me on. He says "It never got ordered, thats why we didn't call". I also ask that since the truck is already here to check for any ECM/TCM updates that might be needed. He huffs again and writes on desk pad.

After this I had had it. I walked over to service managers office and tell him the wonderful service advisors they have. He says he'll take care of it.

At 5:30 pm I call to check on truck, they haven't even got it into shop yet. Really busy now. I ask why didn't they call and let me know. I was told that is not their responsibility, They will get it done when they can.

And dealers wonder why people refuse to take vehicles there. I can't wait to get the "How Did we Do" survey.

Oh and on their wall in huge 3' letters.

"100% Customer Satisfaction. Thats our Goal"

Jim

imported_ Guest

Jim,

I feel your pain. I have the deep pan on my allison, with transynd, and the dealer wants me to pay for the extra capaity. I get grief about my gauges every visit. I don't even have a performance box. They try to charge me for repairs that I suggest, that they don't have the skills to perform. (steering rattle) The give me a piece of junk to drive instead of a truck, sound familiar? And then they have the balls to ask me to fill out their evaluation as completely satisfied

cheers
    brad

imported_ Guest

Well I got the rig back today and I am very happy. Well kinda. They replaced the tcm and no fix, they replaced the pcm, no fix, they replaced the NSBU with the new switch and bob's your uncle!! My truck is fixed. They also replaced all my HVAC components, they mentioned something about a high voltage spike

It took 6 days, a loaner, a rental, and a meeting with the owner.

They left all the parts they changed in, did the most recent upgrades to the pcm and tcm. The truck shifts way better then before the changes. So I am happy. The service tech also commented on the professional job of my install of my gauges/alt/stereo etc. and told me that my "alterations" will no longer be a concern on warrenty issues. She also rewired the high idle switch (done by another tech) to our new standards for my truck. I also discovered that I can choose a tech to work on my truck, if I wish. Something that means alot to me as it enables a more personal relationship.

The moral of the story, don't give up until you are satisfied, and the service guys (or gals) will come around.

cheers

brad