Thread: Shocks

Default Shocks

What is the difference between Bilsteins : Monroes?
    They both seem to have 1 3/8" cylinders and gas charges plus pricing is approx $100.00 more.
    My factory shocks ride like a brick....
    07 Chevrolet 2500 NBS LTZ 4x4 6.5'Box xCab

Arrow

German craftsmanship vs. Chinese. You be the judge.

They both have warranties. You'll use the Monroe warranty. Bilstein bushings last longer than the Monroe shocks, in my experience. A call to Bilstein CS and new bushings are in the mail. Bilstein bushing replacement is no simple task, though. 150K of heavy use (towing, off road, "truck" use) and they're just as pressurized as they were new. Monroe R/R is a piece of cake (no pressure to deal with). Rancho are better than Monroe, but still made left of the left coast.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I've been using and selling the Bilsteins for 15+ yrs now and wouldn't have it any other way. Bilstein is a high pressure mono tube design, but if you think your OE shocks "ride like a brick" you'll probably think the Bilsteins ride like a ton of bricks. I've always said that 98 out of 100 will say that the Bilsteins are awesome. 1.5 out of 100 say eh so-so, and .5 of 100 will say that they ride like crap. The .5 is nuts IMHO.

Bilstein is a control shock. Good HD relatively firm ride that keeps the wheels on the ground and the chassis from pitching and yawing all over. The OE shocks are loose as a goose and let the wheels flop easily.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    ... I've always said that 98 out of 100 will say that the Bilsteins are awesome...
    Dittos ... I'm one of the 98 .. I bought a set of Bilsteins from John for my 03 shortly after I purchased it new in October 02.. The Bilsteins yielded a drastic improvement in ride and handling that is still there today after another 113k miles..
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Better ride quality and longevity are just some advantages of using Bilstein shocks.

Default shocks.

My 2001 is riding on the Bilsteins I installed in Jan of 01. Would not have any other shock.