Thread: Help! 6.5 Turbo Diesel problems.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Help! 6.5 Turbo Diesel problems.

Help! Could anyone please help me to diagnose the problems I am having with my 1998 Silverado K1500 with 6.5 TD.
    The vehicle always start and begins to run fine when clod, but after a minute or two things being to go wrong.
    The engine apears to overfuel and miss as large amounts of blue/white and sometimes black smoke appears from the exhaust. The engine will clear and run fine over approx 2000 RPM however under that the problems re-appear. It also at times stalls when hot and refuses to idle at all. I am trying to locate someone around here who can download the trouble codes but no luck as yet. Has anyone experienced similal problems and if so could you please offer any advice.
    Look forwad to receiving any replies.
    Thankyou in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by glivingstone
    Help! Could anyone please help me to diagnose the problems I am having with my 1998 Silverado K1500 with 6.5 TD.
    The vehicle always start and begins to run fine when clod, but after a minute or two things being to go wrong.
    The engine apears to overfuel and miss as large amounts of blue/white and sometimes black smoke appears from the exhaust. The engine will clear and run fine over approx 2000 RPM however under that the problems re-appear. It also at times stalls when hot and refuses to idle at all. I am trying to locate someone around here who can download the trouble codes but no luck as yet. Has anyone experienced similal problems and if so could you please offer any advice.
    Thankyou in advance.
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Check over what I posted.Does the SES light come on,stay on?
    Not being able to read codes it can be hard to tell. There are some code scanner you can get just for reading codes. Internet search can help.
    There has to be a shop in your area that should have a TechII scanner that can pull codes then look at this table.
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/DTC9698.htm

Lightbulb I would say

Quote Originally Posted by glivingstone
    Thankyou in advance.
    My first guess would be the PMD(pump mounted driver) Black box on driver side injection pump.

I suspect you have EGR on that beast. You can try pulling the vacuum line off the EGR valve in the center of the intake manifold. Plug the line and see if there's any difference. It'll probably set the SES light, but it'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Also, when the run like you describe, they can plug the converter in short order, which causes other issues.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Nobody asked if there are any CODES? Autozone and Advance Auto will read them for free where I live. Give us some codes and there are lots of people here that can give you some very good ideas on what to check.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    I suspect you have EGR on that beast. You can try pulling the vacuum line off the EGR valve in the center of the intake manifold. Plug the line and see if there's any difference. It'll probably set the SES light, but it'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Also, when the run like you describe, they can plug the converter in short order, which causes other issues.
    Thanks John,
    The beast does have an EGR valve and I have tried removing the vacum line with no success.
    The Service Engine light is also on so hopefully there may be some codes.
    I have found a dealer that may be able to read the codes, vehicle is booked in for tomorrow.
    Could you please expand on plug the converter? never heard of the terminology.
    I'll keep you posted on whether there are any codes.
    Cheers.

Default "Converter" expanded

The " Converter" is the diesel equilivent of a catalytic converter used on gasoline fueled cars. Diesels version is more of a soot trap. Look under the truck and see if you have 2 mufflers. The smaller, toward the bonnet, is the soot trap. The internal material matrix traps the soot, and it burns off slowly. What we have seen is that the soot builds up faster that it can be burned off. This creates a restriction in the exhaust system that reduces performance. The white smoke after startup is typical of cold cylinder temperatures. The cylinder and/or the glowplugs are not hot enough to get the fuel properly combusted. Glow plugs would be the first thought here. You might try letting the Glowplug light cycle an extra time before starting.

Let us know what codes were found.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger