Thread: Playing around at the drag strip, with a n/a 6.2L

Default Playing around at the drag strip, with a n/a 6.2L

Just having a bit of fun and thought I'd share what I found out...

I took my little '82 shortbox 6.2L Diesel pickup out to the drag strip for their semi-weekly "test and tune" friday's where you get to run as many runs as you want for $5 plus pit entry fees.

So I figured what the heck..

I'd never raced out there and needed to learn the ropes a bit, so this would be a good consistant little rig to take out there. Mind you, I wasn't out to impress anyone, especially with it's looks, but it was still fun.

The rig: Pretty well bone stock 6.2.

1982 1/2 ton shortbed
    6.2 C series EGR engine (with EGR intake in tact still)
    Factory air cleaner.
    TH700R4
    Gears unknown currently... (feels like 3.42 or 3.73).
    235/75 R15 rubber, pretty bald Michelins
    Lowered 2" shackles in rear springs modified in front (not me).

Anyways, attached is my ticket stub, I'm 425!

Pickup did a pretty consistant 19.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile, not too shaby for a pickup that maybe had 135hp back in the day, now has 180k miles on her.

Now.. Since I know where stock is (on this rig) it'll be like night and day later...

So you're only a second and a half and about 7mph slower than the turbo 6.5, right? That's pretty good. Keep the 6.2L!
    '83 1/2-ton Suburban 4wd 6.2 N/A 700R4 3.73 axles 31" tires

Bob,

My sentiments exactly! Pretty good running 6.2, I was surprised it was as close as it was.

But, this rig is lighter and a 2wd compared to the 6.5 that's pushing taller tires and the extra 4x4 stuff.

I'm half-way planning on changing the intake, turning up the fuel slightly and opening up the air cleaner housing and running it again.

Quote Originally Posted by john8662
    Bob,

My sentiments exactly! Pretty good running 6.2, I was surprised it was as close as it was.

But, this rig is lighter and a 2wd compared to the 6.5 that's pushing taller tires and the extra 4x4 stuff.

I'm half-way planning on changing the intake, turning up the fuel slightly and opening up the air cleaner housing and running it again.
    You'd better just take the plunge with this light 2wd... I want to see 13 second 1/4 miles!
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...