Thread: 2006 Pull-Off

Arrow 2006 Pull-Off

Trucks: 4- Duramax's, 4- Powerstrokes, 2- Dodge Cummins, 2- 6.5TD's.

Some very interesting surprises this year! The stock LBZ absolutely kicked butt - it's a whole nother level of performance (~9 mph faster) than most stock LB7 & LLY trucks and the stock Ford & Dodges. We also saw the best time/speed yet for all 6.5L Turbodiesels run to date - we learned that having the right turbocharger is key... RJ's 6.5 runs very well.

Most performance oriented GM/Ford/Dodge trucks ran a 0-60 in the 20-30 second range. The best performance Duramax trucks ran in the 14-16 second range on a 6% grade with a 10K trailer and from a dead stop. JK had the best time.... Ken Florey was right there as well. Ken's twin turbo setup pushes some serious boost and looks great under the hood.

All data was collected by the same person and when using the same GPS & stopwatch - and using the exact same techniques for all trucks. I tried using a G-Tech Pro to collect accel data, but soon discovered that it wouldn't trigger reliably (it takes tremendous power and traction to trigger the G-Tech when launching at this GCVW). I only got one run with the G-Tech, but it was enough to verify the relative accuracy of the digital stopwatch & GPS (stopwatch 0-60 was within .3 seconds of the G-Tech time). Data collection consistency is important when comparing accel trend data between trucks.

We're coordinating with magazine coverage, but will release the full story (with lots of pics) right here in TDP before long....

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 07-18-2006 at 17:46.

Arrow Ken Florey's Twin Turbo Duramax!

50-60 PSI...

Is it just me that can't see the pic?

Same thing with the pics you posted when Mark Rinker stopped by...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    Is it just me that can't see the pic?
    Yes, it's just you! The rest of us can see it just fine...

Wink

Ya know, JK they say if you do it too long, you'll go blind...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Nice job Jim, you have heard and I mentioned it to you at the end of my second run that based on where I let off and the fact your GPS was laying on the dash when I was saying, "I'm there", makes me believe that you were a tad slow on the stopwatch. I'll get over it. This event has gotten a large play over on the Place, almost 1400 hits on the thread. Kennedy's damn good on that hill, no getting around that. Looking forward to the article. Ken
    Last edited by Florey; 07-19-2006 at 22:19.
    Florey<br />02 GMC Duramax CC SB 4X4. Idaho CTD Twin Turbos, TTS Extreme, ATS Extreme tranny with 5-Star TC, 12 Bolt Billet Flex place, upgraded co-pilot, ATS head studs, Cognito braces, SoCal fuel pickup, MITUSA lift pump, Transfer Flow fuel tank, Edge Juice w/ attitude,(no timing), 5" exhaust, way too many gauges, sleeves, tranny /transfer case brace, Caltracs, Bilsteins. EFI Live. TECH 2.

Arrow

I wasn't slow on the stopwatch... If your best was within a couple or three tenths of JK, there might be some debate...

Here's JK's 2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison G-Tech data that I clipped from the software:

My stopwatch/GPS time was 14.27 seconds for the above run. Which time should we go with?

I can remember, not all that long ago, when an unloaded diesel pickup - on a level highway- was doing well to produce 14-sec 0-60's.... When you consider the GCVW and 6% grade, performance sure has come a long-long ways....

Jim

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    I wasn't slow on the stopwatch... If your best was within a couple or three tenths of JK, there might be some debate...

Here's JK's 2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison G-Tech data that I clipped from the software:

My stopwatch/GPS time was 14.27 seconds for the above run. Which time should we go with?

I can remember, not all that long ago, when an unloaded diesel pickup - on a level highway- was doing well to produce 14-sec 0-60's.... When you consider the GCVW and 6% grade, performance sure has come a long-long ways....

Jim
    Jim that is not the point, my point is I didn't ever say that my time was faster than John's, all I said was you were not ready to read the GPS since it was laying on the dash and you had to pick it up to see it when I was telling you that my GPS had already hit 60. That is all I'm saying. Mine was mounted ont the windshield and yours was hand held and laying on my dash. There is no way that your GPS could be more accurate than mine and it takes time to pick it up, read it and hit the timer. I can't tell you how much time that is but it takes some. My second run felt much faster than the first due to getting such a strong launch and keeping the boost way up which I didn't the first time due to the trailer brake problem. I was almost to the turn on my first run before I hit 60. The second run I almost could have made the turn into the resort after my run it was that much short of the turn , even with what I believe to be a slow clock due to you having to pick up the GPS and then hit the timer. That's all I saying.
    It's all water under the bridge now anyway. Hopefully we can do it next year and discuss other options for timing. Thanks again for sponsoring the event and making all of us work to get better.
    Florey<br />02 GMC Duramax CC SB 4X4. Idaho CTD Twin Turbos, TTS Extreme, ATS Extreme tranny with 5-Star TC, 12 Bolt Billet Flex place, upgraded co-pilot, ATS head studs, Cognito braces, SoCal fuel pickup, MITUSA lift pump, Transfer Flow fuel tank, Edge Juice w/ attitude,(no timing), 5" exhaust, way too many gauges, sleeves, tranny /transfer case brace, Caltracs, Bilsteins. EFI Live. TECH 2.

Its not just you John I cant see the pics either.
    David Proske #418
    '06 CHEVY LBZ 2500HD CC LWB
    '03 GMC 2500HD D/A *sold* :-(
    '94 K2500HD W/GV OD

Arrow

Not displaying pics..... DmaxMaverick says: Those who can't see the images are either not logged in, or are logged in with the numeric link to the forum we used briefly just after getting the board software installed, or have security software interfering. Try logging out, then back in using the following link:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum

Ken... Every run was treated exactly the same. The GPS was repositioned to match that used for all the other runs once the GPS indicated 50 mph - then my eyes were glued to the display till it hit 60 mph or we drove past the mile marker. Everyone was able to run as many times as they wished - whether they hoped to improve their run by trying another combination of power settings or for any other reason (in fact, you and few others ran multiple times).

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 07-20-2006 at 09:44.

Jim, you were very accomodating. I made two aborted passes with intercooler hose failures. John made a couple of passes. Ken made multiple passes.

Arrow Forum images

Quote Originally Posted by David Proske
    Its not just you John I cant see the pics either.
    The BB is working normally. If you are seeing "www.thedieselpage.com" on a white background instead of images, you are not logging correctly, logged out, or your cookie has expired.

Log out (if you are logged in), and log back in. Be sure to use the www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum link. If you are still using the 72.22..... URL, you will have issues with the BB.

If you still have a problem with the images, try logging out and clear/delete all thedieselpageforums and 72.22.76.69 cookies, then log in. Could be you still have an old cookie there that isn't getting replaced. If you have cookies disabled for thedieselpageforums, you won't see any images linked from the photo album.

If all that doesn't help, drop me an email and we'll get it figured out.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Which magazine.....

It was mentioned that there was magazine coverage. What magazine(s) are going to be running this story.? Even though the story is going to be run here first in full, I wil be looking for it when it hits the shelf.
    -*og%rice*-
    93 C3500 dually 6.5td. 18.7:1, Balanced, Coated, Underdriven, BD 4" exh, Turbomaster, 2 gage pillar + 3 gage dash, Dual electric fans, DB2 4911(maxxed out), NV4500, Propane, 97' cooling, Pre luber aux oiling, Phaser timing gears, hand made glow plug wiring harness 10ga. fluidampr damper, two pass FMIC, more to come..............

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    Not displaying pics..... DmaxMaverick says: Those who can't see the images are either not logged in, or are logged in with the numeric link to the forum we used briefly just after getting the board software installed, or have security software interfering. Try logging out, then back in using the following link:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum

Ken... Every run was treated exactly the same. The GPS was repositioned to match that used for all the other runs once the GPS indicated 50 mph - then my eyes were glued to the display till it hit 60 mph or we drove past the mile marker. Everyone was able to run as many times as they wished - whether they hoped to improve their run by trying another combination of power settings or for any other reason (in fact, you and few others ran multiple times).

Jim
    End of the debate, I did make two runs, will try and be early next year in case we run the hill the evening before. Take care and hope to see you and Littel Red at Diesel Thunder or at the Edge event.

Ken, your truck was impressive on the hill. I rolled in just in time to see Kennedy's second pass (the quick one) and both yours and his were awsome to behold. Hope I can be there and see you again next year.

Question: Did everyone launch in 4W drive? Especially JK to keep from destroying the rear differential or the tires?
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Arrow

Most of those running power adders ran in 4WD. Otherwise, it was difficult to hook-up. We had a mega power Dodge there that tried running in 2WD. It spun all to easy.... Unfortunately, he found a weak link when 4WD was tried.... This twin-turbo Dodge had the best sounding turbo system I've heard yet.... Sounded a little like a 767 spooling up at the end of the runway.... There'll be pics in the story....

Jim

Arrow It's Here!

Here's the preliminary 2006 Pull-Off article...

Jim

Great article Jim, nice job. Ken