Thread: 07 LBZ on its way to Performance shop

Default 07 LBZ on its way to Performance shop

Hello, I have this Bully Dog with the Crazy Larry program, AFE intake and exhaust. I added a pair of PPE tie rod sleeves to help keep the front tires straight on an aggressive launch on 4WD and tried it out and did not get out of 4WD after launch. Mechanic said to take it for an alignment first and I took it for an alignment but have not tried it out yet because the mechanic who worked on the check engine light problem with codes that had something to do with the EGR and low fuel problem added a shim valve kit and still did not work. anyway he said to put the truck back to stock and reflash the ECMat the dealer because there is a bulletin for the 06-07 EGR reflash, etc. Does anyone know anything about a reflash or reprogramming for the 06-07 Duramax?
    I am not sure if that is the problem or if he does not know what to look for. I do not want to go back to that mechanic and afraid he could ruin my truck, I'd rather take it to a proffessional shop who knows the works. Any way I was talking to PPE and ATS if they could upgrade the truck with an ATS Extreme transmission, 5 disk torque converter, aftermarket injectors, PPE Hot2 programmer, Auroa 3000 turbo, PPE intercooler, Duramaximizer, boost controller, PPE CP-3 fuel pump and fix the check engine light problem and fix it so it will get out of 4WD after launch and switch to 2WD. And a few other mods. They said it can be street driven and can be used for towing also. PPE says that this crew cab truck without the injectors can run 11.5 seconds in a quarter.
    Am I dreaming or is this a bad idea? I do not really race all the time but like to smoke a Zo6 off the line. Any suggestions?

Kennedy Diesel, what do you advise I should put or not put or not to do or do? THANKS
    Bad Max

All the LBZ needs to run exceptionally well is a good tune. Just ask Mark45678. If you push past 400RWHP then an exhaust system a good lift pump setup are required along with a built transmission.

You have an excellent turbo, and good injectors. Why waste a lot of money and ruin a good truck? If you push beyond what I have outlined you are at serious risk for catastrophic engine failure.

Believe it or not, my 2007 still runs bone stock except for my tune. It pulls hard, runs fast and geat great fuel economy. Some day I may beef the trans, add an exhaust and lift pumps and run a bigger tune, but for now it's just a great tow truck that can run low 14's at mid 90's mph

As for the 4x4 sticking, that's a tough one. Backing up doesn't unbind it?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Kennedy, I may not have clarified the 4x4 issue enough. I meant to say that it will not get out of 4x4 under load so that I can switch to 2WD. When I let off the pedal, it gets out of 4x4 , no problem but under load, it will not.
    Why do you not like this setup just for daily driving and a little show and tell once in a while? I do not intend to full blown it for racing but it is nice to have 900 hp driving on the street, will it not?
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Mark

Over 500RWHP the risk goes up exponentially. In my opinion, over 600 is a recipe for certain boom...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Cool

My 13 year old and his friends have a garage band - except its in our basement... They are looking for a name for their 'creation'.

Now I have it: CERTAIN BOOM
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

there are two "certain booms" that go with duramax trucks ...

#1 is the trans cant handle more then 380~400 RWHP without mods!

#2 to run power over 500 RWHP your going to need parts in the bottom end that your wallet cant handle ! built motor= some where north of $10000 and thats doing most of the install work and having a motor that didnt blow up.

So I took the advice JK gave me run the most power you can afford and leave it there. For me thats a stock trans and a JK custom EFI tune . The truck has great power , no smoke, better then stock fuel economy. True more is better but I drive and tow with this truck , exactly how much is it to replace a motor..... last I heard GM porked some owner 17K when his motor blew due to a defective aftermarket part ! thats NOT where I want to be So I had JK do a custom tune . In the end I feel its cheaper having some one like John with his shop/dyno do a tune then me buying the EFI software and making a tune that is more then the stock trans can handle . I am very happy with my 06 lbz truck I have had 2 other trucks with EDGE stuff on them and honestly they didnt pull or run as hard as the EFI tune. Not to mention the problems with the add on boxs failing or setting codes or driveablity issues. Back when the LLY first came out I did Beta testing for edge on the LLY project , never got all the problems worked out with my truck but they still sold boxes to the public ....... lesson learned company will sell stuff that isnt 100% ready , problem free! Small shops like JK have made there name #1 from telling it how it is and standing behind there products .

in the end you can spend your money on bolt on stuff and have a 65,000 dollar truck that just barely can beat that Z06 vette thats stock with a warreny and will not break even if you try ...... eight thousand pounds is hard to make fast cheap and live a long life.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Default 4x4 disengagement

No 4x4 will disengage with torque applied. What you are experiencing is normal. It would be like trying to shift a manual trans out of gear while accelerating.
    2004 LLY SC LB
    ATS exhaust - BD LH Manifold
    Kennedy Diesel Mega Filter & Lift Pump

Quote Originally Posted by White Truck View Post
    It would be like trying to shift a manual trans out of gear while accelerating.
    (Without using the clutch)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    (Without using the clutch)
    Thanks! Clarification needed and appreciated.
    2004 LLY SC LB
    ATS exhaust - BD LH Manifold
    Kennedy Diesel Mega Filter & Lift Pump