Thread: 08 cc sb 2500 need more power for towing

Default 08 cc sb 2500 need more power for towing

what is the best and safest programer for the LMM I want more horsepower on the road towing a 36 fifth wheel camper
    2004 CC D/A LB7 4X4 with edge juice with attitude, BD air filter system, 4in exhaust, 4" rancho lift, 315x75x16 tires, superlift speedo correction

2004 Terry Quantum 300BH TT

2004 CC D/A LLY 4X4 chassis to put my 72 suburban body on.

My .02 worth...

While I haven't towed with an '08 yet, I am of the opinion that the LMM tune is pretty healthy from the factory, is encumbered with regen emmissions equipment that is sensitive to smokey tunes, and that the transmission/TC has a more narrow margin before converter slippage can occur, when compared to your other Duramax powered trucks listed. The LBZ and later engines are probably best left in stock trim for towing duty, at least until your factory warranty is expired - if you want to have warranty coverage in the case anything breaks, that is.

That being said, the best tow-designed tunes are those tailored specifically for your towing needs, and a custom ECM based tow tune from Kennedy Diesel can certainly make that happen, and is the hardest for GM repair shops to detect. Again, my advice would be something on the way-tame end of the power spectrum, maybe 30-40hp.

An opinion, your results and risk acceptance may vary. Always carry your stock ECM, programmer, or whatever so you can return to stock setting, if the need arises.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Hi,

I tow a 34' Jayco fifth wheel (12.5k pounds) with my stock LMM. I've towed it a lot between Illinois and the West coast. It's pulled the Rockies a number of times, in addition to many long uphill pulls on midwest and eastern hills.

Seat of the pants impression -- theLMM's stock performance is equivalent to what I had in my LB7 with an Edge Juice towing the same rig. The newer Allison is, in my view, far superior when it comes to downhill control.

I understand that different folks have different views of what's desirable in terms of power. But when I can pull Vail or Eisenhower passes on I-70 west of Denver at the speed limit, I fail to see why I would ever need more power. To me, the real limiting factor on hilly highways like that is the traffic around me -- not how much higher I can push my EGTs.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

I'm in the process of developing a Tech Tip page describing LMM details, pifalls, etc.

Essentially what I recommend for the LMM is an ECM swap so the stock ECM is "virgin" or you WILL have warranty hang ups down the road. From there it depends what you want to do with exhaust etc.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!