Thread: 2003 LB7 KD Mega Filter

Unhappy 2003 LB7 KD Mega Filter

First post so correct me please. I have a 2003 LB7 and I just installed Kennedy Diesel twin lift pump kit and billet tank pickup kit. I'm now on the Mega Filter kit and I'm stuck in a rut because the factory filter OUT and fuel to engine IN are too close together. Please see attached pictures. I searched the forums and can't find one similar to mine. I tried to move the connection points to clear with no avail. HELP!
    2003 Chevy CC LWB Dually 2WD
    LB7 Duramax 230k - injectors at 182k
    Kennedy dual lift pumps - mega filter kit - 4" exhaust - boost valve
    Wish List: EFI Live ECM
    new LT265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak A/T (awesome tires!)
    2011 Chevy CC LWB Dually LTZ 4x4
    bone stock so far...

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

I'm not understanding what you're saying, and no pics, yet. The Mega filter is pretty straight forward, and relatively simple. I have one on my 2001, and have installed a few on others.

If you need help with getting pics up, let me know.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Sorry I dont think the forum likes cell phones so I had to boot my wife from Farmville lol. Heres a couple pictures, not the same routing as the pictures in the product review section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bone stock so far...

Arrow

Farmville. Yeah. I played that for a while, then took the cure!

Bend that engine-side line just enough to clear the OEM filter outlet. You ARE installing the Mega after the OEM (between the OEM filter and engine), correct?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Yes sir as a secondary filter. I'm definitely a newbie and this is my first diesel, but it makes sense in my wacky head to have finer filtration second. I appreciate the info, I didn't want to ruin the line. I will start bending and take it slow. Also, I appreciate the welcome, this is a great forum with a wealth of experience and knowledge.
    bone stock so far...

Arrow

You don't have to bend it much at all. Only enough to allow the lines to pass one another. The best way to prevent line distortion, is to use a punch or dowel inside the tubing, as close to the size as possible, and between the end and anchor point. The larger radius bend (easy bend, not sharp), the better. The tubing steel is pretty soft, so easy bends are simple. Earlier models had the line from the pump to the filter mostly rubber, so there was no bending, but harder to access. I do not suggest bending the OEM outlet line, as it's close, and will likely leak (pressed fit). Do not overtorque the clamps (should have constant torque clamps with the kit).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

It sounds like you have a CA truck. Only the CA trucks have this issue as the EGR apparatus has the lines stubbed out next to each other and need a bit of bending. All others are very simple install as depicted in my instructions.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thumbs up

I figured it was something to do with the truck because all the other parts installed so easy and flawless. Are there other concerns or modifications I need to be aware of with a CA truck? I know their emissions are totally different from TX. The fuel line bent easily and I also used the leftover pressure hose that came with the kit to replace the line from ECU to factory filter. The tight turn kept kinking the line, so i added a stretched ou t spring inside the line to make a perfect bend. Great products as well! My idle is purring and throttle response is improved. I can't wait to check the fuel economy after a tank.
    bone stock so far...

Next step woul dbe to do an ECM tune. Maybe a boost valve, but bang for the buck the best gains are in the ECM.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Poppa,when u say your idle is purring does that mean you had an idle issue that the lift pump fixed? I have a customer with an 02 dmax that has an idle surging issue that can be cleared up by bleeding fuel system.any info on this would be helpful. thank you!

It sounds like you have a serious leak at the filter head either from a poorly sealing filter, or the orings inside are getting bad.

Probably the best thing you could do to a truck with an idle surge that goes away with bleeding is to add a lift pump. This will pressurize the system and show you the leak.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Thanks John!