Thread: 05 LLY upgrades

Default 05 LLY upgrades

Been quite some time since I've posted anything on here. I started out wanting to build a 6.5 for my 89 Jimmy. But since rod bolts seemed to be obsolete, I decided dumping over 8k into a 6.5 without insurance of new rod bolts was out of the question for this guy. So I set out to find a Duramax and Allison and try to shove that in the Jimmy. I bought an 05 2500hd crew with 100k on the clock. Got a great deal on the truck but it was too nice to cut up and use as a donor. Now I'm daily driving it and sourced another duramax engine for the Jimmy. But this is about the mods I made on the LLY.

First order of business was to replace the complete front end. Was contemplating going to a straight axle but then decided to just redo what I have. New ball joints, tie rods(inner and outer), sleeves, idler arm, pitman arm, hub bearings, CV shafts, and brakes.

Next was time to do all the little stuff. PCV reroute. Made a little catch can with a breather. EGR blocker plate and finger stick.

I actually made a bunch of blocker plates but have sold them all since.

Then I installed some gauges. Fuel rail pressure, EGT, boost, lift pump pressure, drive pressure.

Then I started collecting parts for engine work.
    PPE fuel rail fitting.

Relief valve shim kit.

K&N air intake and turbo mouthpiece for an LBZ

Then last but not least, a big air kit. 3" charge pipes, 3" downpipe, 2" stainless coated up pipes, 3" intake with y-bridge, drivers side exhaust manifold, and all the gaskets I needed to put it all together.

Now I have it tuned by BoBo from Janesville WI with EFI Live, have installed a CTS insight and currently need a trans. That's gonna be next along with ported turbo pedestal and turbo. Then injectors and head studs. I have pictures thru the whole process of changing everything out if anyone is interested. This thing really breathes now and has a hell of a lot more ponies.

Ok since I can only post 8 pics I'll continue them here. I don't want to retape all that.

Forgot intake.

Here she is all finished up.

Last edited by Snowbound98; 12-11-2013 at 02:29.