TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Discussion Forum for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine, including the LB7, LLY, LBZ & LMM engine specific topics.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Contributor

Question

Can any of our experts comment knowledgeably on the MT10 Metal Treatment additive produced by Muscle Products ??
This has been highly recommended by various users, and I would appreciate any thoughts re pro's and con's.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Contributor

DON'T USE IT!!!
It's just wrong on so many levels.

How's that?
\'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:21 PM
Contributor

Can you provide some factual support for why it is an all round bad product ? Before I decide to use or not use something , I like to know why .
Anyone else care to comment.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Contributor

Hey Andrew,

I do not know anything about it, however I have a question for you. What truck do you have, and what fuel milage are you getting, in town and on the highway? I ask this, because there are no reports of fuel milage from Canadian Duramax owners. Also the Canadian gallon is 4.55 litres compared with the American gallon at 3.78 litres. Therefor, there is a twenty percent difference in milage numbers. Please let us know.

James
Old 04-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Contributor

I have a Duramax CC ZF6 speed, short box with 12,000 miles on the clock ( 19,000km ). Last time I checked I was getting 16.7m/g in town equivalent and 19.3 on the open road.
OK now guys, let's not take this off topic , I want info on MT 10 ! Some say its great , others seem sceptical. What I need are facts.
As we all know contributors to this site can answer anything !!
Old 04-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Contributor

Hi AndrewF,

I calculate my average fuel economy at the end of the month and if I seem to have got noticeably higher or lower than normal. I average about 18.5 in the winter and 19.5 in the summer. I have had I high of 22 and a worst of 17 at break in. I don't tow but have had over 5000lbs onboard. I have a '01 dually 6 speed.

MT10 IIRC is an oil additive? Spend your money on a better oil, it would be a much better investment. To many oil additives are snake oil and worse yet even a legit additive will likely react adversly with your oil and kill some of the important properties that keep your engine alive. Try a search here on oil additives, there have been countless discussions already with some great links to some excellent articles.
White \'01 Chev Duramax/ZF-6 Ext.Cab 3500 LS 4x4<br />Cooper LT245/75R16 Explorer S/T on<br />American Racing D-8<br />Active Wheel Balancers<br />Synthetic Front to Back<br />Warn Transformer & HS9500i on Multimount<br />Underseat Storage Bin<br />Hi Idle Mod<br />4 Headlight Mod
Old 04-18-2002, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

There is a great article on oil additives at: http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-additives.html

This being said, MT-10 Metal Treatment (don't know about MT-10 IIRC) doesn't contain the PTFE's or Teflon that most of the others do. It uses a totally different process called "Electrochemical ionization" to reduce friction and engine wear.

Before comment on it, Please do some research on how MT-10 works. I have been using MT-10 for years and so have many of my friends with great results. The engine runs smoother, quieter and the engine temps have dropped 10-15 degrees. I have also seen up to 3 MPG increases on some of my vehicles using MT-10.

You can start your research here: http://www.cjdistributing.com/mt-10.htm

Click the link called - BOUNDARY FILM PROTECTION

This too is good reading.

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>
Member #4883
My diesels
97 Chevy C-3500 Dually, 6.5TD
85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A
85 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.2 N/A
85 Surburban 2500 4x4 6.2 N/A
83 Chevy G-30 Van 6.2 N/A
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Contributor

Thanks Hotshot & DMax Man. While I appreciate that many oil additives can legitimately be described as 'snake oil' , there are a few excellent products around as evidenced by their use and success in high revving race motors and heavy duty machine applications around the world.
DMax-Man , knowing the Duramax motor as well as you do, and given your indepth knowledge of what works and what doesn't , can you verify the positive advantages and maintenance cost savings that some very happy users of MT-10 have claimed in many high stress engine and machine applications. As mentioned above , I tend not to denigrate any product as 'garbage' , until I know the facts. The facts on MT-10 seem to be pursuasive It has also been around for a long time , which means something.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Contributor

Okay, okay. I was feeling smug. Here's the reason I don't like oil additives.

Yes, some oil additives do exactly what they claim. Others do more damage. For example, PTFE in our engines can be devistating (if it even works at all). That application was never intended for the engine stresses and teperatures that we run at. Not even close. Not to mention, the possible damage (loss of performance) to injector tips from fouling. Just one example.

Then there is the possiblity of using some products that may actually interfere with the additive packages in some oils. The problem is that it is impossible to tell if you will be safe because there are so many oils out there.

Your safest bet is to use a quality oil and a good filter.
MT10 may work just fine (it is impressive stuff), but is the extra cost worth the benefit (and the potential damage)?
I understand how MT10 works, but I believe that the gain will be marginal, if detectable at all, for this application. I don't believe that enough history exists to make a reasonable judgement for this application. That's why I said, "Don't use it!!!"
Old 04-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Contributor

D-Max Man, given your experience and expertize on the Duramax engine , perhaps you could advise whether in your view there would be ANY downside at all ( apart from cost ) in using MT - 10 in this engine particularly given that the jury is still out concerning oil additives generally. The website article your referred us to i.e. Snakeoil
would suggest this is not an adviseable route to take, particularly as in virtually every case the research is subjective and most of the promotional literature is in the form of letters from 'satisfied customers'. In other words if you had a Duramax , would you use it ??
Closed Thread