Thread: Slide-in Camper in a 3500 DRW

Question

While researching slide-in campers, why do all the slide-in boys run the Dxxxx or Fxxx, but I almost never (I can say never because I haven't seen one yet) see a GM hauling a BIG slide-in. Some guys have said the IFS doesn't lend itself to big bed loads? Whats up? I'm ready to add a DRW to the fleet, do I have to jump ship?
    PS I like the new Dxxxx body and CTD, but the GMC Duramax/Allison is not out of the running, yet.
    Don't like the full-time spinning axle/front drive shaft on the Dxxxx.
    DP member #38 1992 Chev K2500 RPO C6P 6.5TD 150K miles
    2014 John Deere 1025R

Thumbs up

My 3500 carries my big slide-in just fine. Even on forest service roads in the Sierras (not always the smoothest / best maintained route).
    2001 Sierra 3500 SLE Ex.Cab 4WD Duramax/Allison<br />2002 Bigfoot 25C10.6 Camper<br />Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch, Air Lift Super Duty airbags<br />--------------------------------<br />Malibu Skier tournament ski boat<br />--------------------------------<br />1968 GTO 400HO, 4-speed (currently being restored)

If you look at it historially you might be correct. But my impression is many of the new truck purchases are Duramax with Allison transmissions. You might take a look at the truck camper forum on RV Net and there are alot of Chevy/GMC outfits represented.

I believe most of us hauling larger truck campers are more than happy with our Duramax/Allison outfits. I drive alot on steep, gravel Forest Service roads and I love my outfit. Plus I seldom get passed by a F**d or D***e on the Interstates.
    \'03 Chevy 4x4 Dually EC, D/A. Rancho RS9000X, Air Lifts, Line-X<br />\'03 Lance 1030 Camper

Turbo Al Guest

Moved to 2500HD/3500 Accessories forum.

I don't have a doolly but i have a 12' fleetwood caribou,on a d/a 2500 it has been upgraded to carry it but does not even know it's there.gets 15+ on hwy pulling boat 21' offshore. and i see alot of d/a,s around here with campers so don't be discouraged.

We've owned several Lance campers and had them on various Chevy trucks.
    This 3500 D/A is a superb truck for any large camper.

Also, for your information..........
    I installed a set of the frame mounted Torklifts tiedowns on my Chevy 3500 D/A
    but used the Happijacs turnbuckles. I don't feel that the new Happijac system is
    truly a frame-mount. The Torklifts are a much better product and design.
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

I haul a artic fox slide in with a slide weights about 5000 pounds and pull a 10,000 pound trailer behind it works well. Just went to Minnisota with it last week
    2002 GMC 3500 CC 4x4Dmax/Allison, white/graphite, SLT, loaded
    Husky mud flaps, ss nerf bars, ss push bar, super hitch, super hitch camper tie downs , ss wheel simulators, cerullo center seat, vent shades, air ride air bags, SPA digital gauges,Juice 4.61, High idle, O/D lockout, Allison deep pan, transynd, 4" exhaust

Thumbs up

Saw a 2500 gasser as I recall a couple of weeks ago in a parking lot with one of those huge Big Foot campers on it - went over to check it out because I couldn't believe how level it was, thought maybe it had to had air bags or extra springs or something (i have a light wieght slide in so I'm always interested) no bags, all stock and super level and take my word for it - super heavy - I was impressed - I actually went back one more time to double inspect - totally stock.
    2003 GMC 2500 D/A SLT Extendcab<br />28\' Splash TT<br />8\'LiteCraft Slidein/popup

I am interested in possibly getting a truck camper for my 3500 CC 8ft bed 2003 Dmax and have looked at some of the www sites of manufacturers. Most of the dealers are a long distance from me so window shopping is not easy. I would be interested in comments from those who have had experiences with different brands. Also I would consider a used unit but again dealers are limited. The other concern is resale value or trading on a 5th wheel, etc. if I decide a camper is too small or for some reason I decide to get rid of it. Since the local RV dealers do not sell them, a trade seems unlikely or difficult and used ones are not readily available. Also for example, the large Lance unit is about $25,000 and a good used 5th wheel can be found for that price. The camper idea appelel to me, but I am afriad of being "stuck" with it or taking a big hit if it doesn't suit my long term needs. Comments appreciated!
    Chevy 3500HD, Duramax/Allison, crew cab, light pewter, LT, Prodigy brake controller. (VA Lic # 03 DMAX) Current TT is 32 ft. Citation (looking for 5th wheel). First car was 1948 Chevy 2dr fleetline. Other previously owned Chevy\'s: 1959 Station wagon, 1969 Corvette, 1998 <br />conversion van. Currently own in addition to 3500HD: 1989 Chevy Sub. (1500), 1995 Chevy Sub.(1500), 1996 Tahoe, 1996 Chevy Sub.(2500),2003 Impala. (cdpva33@hotmail.com)

Don't mean to be hijacking ulhpilot's thread, but in response to VADMax2003 questions.......
    In terms of market share apparently Lance is the leader far and away. You do have a great Lance dealer just over the mountains from you in Sevierville, TN (just east of Knoxville). I recently purchased a new truck camper and after "shopping" for 3 months came to the conclusion that well maintained used campers have an exceedingly high resale value. In fact, the delta between "new and excellent used" is not that great. I don't think I would be too concerned about being stuck with one if you don't like it.
    \'03 Chevy 4x4 Dually EC, D/A. Rancho RS9000X, Air Lifts, Line-X<br />\'03 Lance 1030 Camper

For $25,000 you can buy a damn nice Sunnybrook 26'-28' aluminum studded TT with a slide and with that D/max you would'nt even know it was behind you while towing, Sure a lot more comfy than a slide in camper. Of course if you have to tow a boat as well the slide in makes more sense. I pass everything on the road with my Sunnybrook and always get to the campground first very important in this day and age when RV'ing has become fashionable and popular. Stu
    2002 GMC 2500HD D/A. CC. LB. INDIGO BLUE <br />Custom Lining bedliner,Quick & Easy hitch receiver,Snugtop cap,Trailback running boards,135 Gal. Auxtank,Moryde RL suspension,Alison deep sump, Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller.<br />26\'Sunnybrook 26CKS TT,<br /> Blue Ox equalizing hitch,2 Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. <br />25\'Bayliner Flying Bridge cruiser.

I appreciate the comments about RV options. When I ordered my DMax over a year ago it was to pull a fifth wheel and I got the dually in order to give me the most towing/hauling options. As I am retired and single, my prospective RV needs are varied. I have a 32 ft Citation travel trailer that I pulled to Alaska in 2000 behind a 96 2500 Suburban with 454 and fully intended to get a 5th wheel. How ever I see my tavel needs changing. First of all I was very pleased with the handling qualities of my TT using my old Reese hitch without a sway control that drove me crazy pulling a 27 ft TT behind an 88 Chevy conversion van from 1993 through 1995, including trips to Orlando, the Land Between the Lakes in KY as well as a trip to Maine plus many other local trips of less than 300 miles from my home in SE VA. When I got the 96 sub I got a Pullrite hitch and it restored the fun of towing and put about 20,000 towing miles with that combo and it was so stable I even let my 18 yo son share some of the driving to Alaska. A couple weeks ago I pulled the 32 ft TT using the old Reese hitch to Ohio and was never blown around by passing trucks. My plan was to use this TT and hitch as a transitional rig and get a 5th wheel for next years travel. However as I have older kids in MI and CA I can see a few cross country trips with my self solo and most of that travel would be long days across much of the country with some side trips of scenic interest. My curent rig is 55 ft and a night time arrival at an RV park, and with no copilot can lead to some fun parking situations. So, for solo trips or with one other passenger, a camper makes sense and the TT is stable with my current hookup. I might consider keeping the TT for longer winter vacations in FL or AZ, or when taking kids and grandkids on relatively local trips when I have a "full house."

Does anyone have had an opportunity to observe or hazard a guess about the relative fuel consumption of a Dmax hauling a 4500 lb camper vs pulling a 30 ft TT or fifth wheel? TT milage should exceed 5th wheel milage based on wind resistance. On my recent OH trip of 1400 miles pulling a 32 ft TT (approx 7500 lb) the trip computer said I got 10.2 mpg while towing which was done at 65-70 mph when conditions permitted (I-95 in VA and I-80 in OH) but, on about 150 miles of PA turnpike it was more like 55mph. The truck had 7500 miles on it when I left here and I LOVE it!!!
    Chevy 3500HD, Duramax/Allison, crew cab, light pewter, LT, Prodigy brake controller. (VA Lic # 03 DMAX) Current TT is 32 ft. Citation (looking for 5th wheel). First car was 1948 Chevy 2dr fleetline. Other previously owned Chevy\'s: 1959 Station wagon, 1969 Corvette, 1998 <br />conversion van. Currently own in addition to 3500HD: 1989 Chevy Sub. (1500), 1995 Chevy Sub.(1500), 1996 Tahoe, 1996 Chevy Sub.(2500),2003 Impala. (cdpva33@hotmail.com)

Arrow

Hey VaDmax2003,
    Why don't you start a new thread to ask your questions. I started this thread to get replies regarding slide-in campers and the 3500 DRW.
    DP member #38 1992 Chev K2500 RPO C6P 6.5TD 150K miles
    2014 John Deere 1025R

Ulhpilt, thanks for your comment concerning my being a little off topic and it is an appropriate one. Since there are quite a few of us here who have out trucks as primairily towing vehicles, and, towing issues or RV issues run the gamet of accessories, powertrain and as well as engine topics, Maybe the moderator would consider a section here for towing and RV use related topics as it is sometimes hard to correctly place them. There are some other RV forums elswhere but sometimes it is best to raise issues or get info from those who are owners of "our trucks." Best wishes and thanks!

ULHPILOT - My experience, having a 2002 CC DMAX and adding a 10'6 slide-out Bigfoot Camper required me to make the following changes:
    Addition of rear air lift. This alone enabled me to level the vehicle, but was insufficient to stop sway. I added custom made overload springs, which stopped exessive sway in curves. I changed the OEM shocks to Rancho 9000's with the front set at 5 and the rear at 9.
    The truck, stock power has plenty of horses to let me cruise up to 80MPH. Fuel milage with camper is around 13 MPG.
    I am about quite overloaded on the stock tires and because of concerns, installed tire monitors for pressure and temperature. I have now about 11000 miles on it and plan to go to 165's when these tires had it.
    The camper with a side slide-out would be better suited on a 3500 dually, however I plan to travel narrow roads and don't like to have duallies without the camper.
    Aside of the powerful combination of the Isuzu diesel and the Allison tranny, this truck has one of the best brake systems for pick-up trucks, something you may need sometimes.
    I think you won't have to worry getting a 3500 for a slide-in camper, except to
    2002-4x4 2500 HD Crew Cab, loaded.

I think you won't have to worry getting a 3500 for a slide-in camper, except to......

Manfred...... what words of wisdom were you
    going to add?

Also, how's that filter doing?
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

56 Nomad - No more wisdom, just a mental fart which did not get deleted before I noticed!

The post OEM Racor was a good choice and I feel comfortable. Thanks for all the help! The Mega, which JK kindly offered to take back, got lost by UPS. Cheers....
    2002-4x4 2500 HD Crew Cab, loaded.