Thread: cummins 460 n14 electronic

in my truck the engine seems to have a miss,its a cummins 460 N14 electronic,when i'm shifting a grab a gear and step on it,the engine kinda flutters then starts to take off,when i'm working the motor it kind sounds like its missing (slightly)this is a new problem.Also this is an old problem,when it is sitting,idleing,it slowly starts to rev up on its own it will rev up as high as 1500rpm and will fluctuate up and down from there,been in to countless shops and dealers with no success.when they put it on the scope it does'nt show fault codes therefore they say there is no problem.ever heard of this?been doing this for 6 or7 years semms to be getting worse though.
    dieselclown

The miss and flutter sounds like an injector going bad. You can diagnose it yourself by unplugging the harness where it goes into each injector above the intake manifold. Unplug one at a time until you find one that doesn't miss worse once unplugged. On the other problem I have no clue but the dealer's should be able to find that if it will do it at the shop.
    01 2500HD D/ZF<br />14.1 @100mph<br />CPMac632@aol.com

i have the cummins celect road relay,by unplugging the injectors will this place an error code on that i will have to go to the shop to clear?and the other problem,i have had it at several places while it was doing it and nobody can figure it out,makes it real puzzling i was hopeing someone would read my post that has had the problem and found a fix.have tried several things from replacing the pedal to searching for air leaks,installing a check valve,doing the pump replacing sensors,the list goes on just pretty much out of things too try??any ideas would be appreciated.thanks for your reply.
    dieselclown

It possibly would set a code but if you diagnose which injector needs replace it could save several hours of some rookie looking for it in a shop. I imagine they would clear the code for you wherever you go. I knew of one n-14 that seemed to have a mind of its own but not while idling. I will quiz the guy and see what I can find out.
    01 2500HD D/ZF<br />14.1 @100mph<br />CPMac632@aol.com

that would be great!this one is in a 94 kenworth,when ideling down the road you can feel the rpms moving around slightly,when you come to a stop and kick it out of gear it will stay around 1000rpm if you bump the engine brake it will slow down to an idle for a few min's then start climbing again.been kinda scared to leave it running unattended it goes up as high as 1500rpm at times.Anyway,i agree that the other problem is more than likely an ejector,i will try the pulling the wires next time i have it running thnx for the tip!
    dieselclown