Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans-synd fluid for allison

I've been trying to find somwhere to buy the Transsynd fluid for my Allison. Local transmission dealer wants 140.00 to do the change & doesn't stock the Fluid.

Suggestions ?

MPS
    2001 LT extended LWB 2500hd 4x4 - Duramax/Allison- Black w/ graphite leather -<br />ARE Cap - Ruff racks safari rack --Whelen safety strobes -westin nerf -Linex - Tekonsha sentinal -Wet okole seat covers - Westin brush guard , Piaa Drivers.. Xenarc HIDs & Kemnedy Light harness.. Jotto Computer desk, Crappy delco radio <br /> member #6330<br />Photos - <br />http://photos.yahoo.com/mps007

If that's out the door price including fluid, that's not bad. I thinks it's like $130 for a 5 gal pail and you will use 4 if you flush. Filter is $8.

Check out my signature for some "NOTES" and pictures.

You can get the fluid at a Detroit Diesel/Allison distributor.

Use this link to find a local dealer..

http://www.vicinity.com/allisontrans/startprx.hm

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

LanduytG Guest

Use the Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. It's $105.20 for 5 gallon and it's better than the Transyd. Transyd is not a true synthetic like Mobile and Amsoil. Shipping will cost you 12.85 and all you have to do is pick up the phone to order it.

Greg

If you are up to it go ahead and change to the deep pan and pickup screen filter at the same time. Pan and internal filter are inexpensive compared to benefits of additional fluid especially if you are towing.

Allison dealers have the Transynd for about $28 per gallon and the spin on filters are around $8.50. Most important thing is to not lose the magnetic washer on top of tyhe old spin on tranny filter. You are suppose to wipe it off and put it on the new filter before you install the new one.

Good Luck.
    \'01 Chevy EC/2WD/SB, T/F 45 gal, Delvac 1, TranSynd, deep pan, MAG drain plug. Escalade handles & painted bumper capto. After market grill, billet bowtie, Stockland cover, no side trim, no juice, no gauges, nuttin but stock! Nicktane Big CAT Pre-OEM. Gone, but not forgotten.

'07 Crew Cab LBZ stock all the way except added 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank and billet grille. Great truck also now gone, but not forgotten.

'12 Crew Cab stock for a few more days LOL

Greg,

Who gave you information that Transynd is not a Synthetic Fluid?
    2004 Chevrolet 4x4 2500HD CC LB, LB7, AFE Intake, KD 5" Exhaust, KD Twin Lift pumps w/Billet Pickup, 6" Lift 35" MT on 20" ION Forged wheels.
    Sold to Dad> 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, Crew Cab, LB, LT, LB7-Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000 Series, Autometer Boost/EGT Gauges, AFE Intake, KD 5" Exhaust, Edge w/Attitude, 285/75-16 Brigestone Dueler AT's, B&W Turnover Ball.
    Diesel Page member #330
    E-Mail SOVERCASH1@AOL.COM

Mobil ATF synthetic is lower price then either one of the other two.
    I paid $4.97 per quart. That is only $99.40 plus tax $105.36 for 5 gallon. No shipping, just pick it up at your local Mobil gas station.
    2002 Chevy LS 2500HD Duramax/Allison, crew cab, short bed, Forest Green,4x4, Banks 4\" exhaust, Amsoil through out,Amsoil dual bypass and air filter. Torque Pro 2000 by ATS (propane baby)<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/hdmax\" target=\"_blank\">Mike`s pictures</a>

007, that is a fair price for the change. I paid $200 at an Allison shop to do mine.
    02\'LT CC/SB D/A Grey/Graphite W/Everything. Modern Python Wheels,Line-X,Putco 4\" SS nerfs,Lucerix mirrors,Amsoil air filter,Husky Liners,EGR carbon fiber B/guard,APC carbon fiber Euro Tails,APC clear corners,Husky splash guards,GMC bright side moldings,Kennedys\' 70-100W headlight harness, PIAA air dam and 520 ion crystal fogs,Draw-Tite class v receiver,Bilsteins,Fumoto, HOT Juice,Banks 4\",BD exhaust brake,O.D. lockout,Autometer Phantom guages,Escalade bezel and guage cluster,Sound system to compliment this fine truck,Many #\'s of sound deadener,100% transynd,all else Amsoil,Zaino stuff inside and out.####UNDERSTANDING WIFE! *01\' Nordic Fox 27F TT * 01\' Pro-Circuit YZ 250 <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/darrell3\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

LanduytG Guest

hdmax
    Yes that is a great price but you had sales tax on it so that just about equals the shipping.

Thanks for the Input guys --
    I guess I'll let em do it...
    2001 LT extended LWB 2500hd 4x4 - Duramax/Allison- Black w/ graphite leather -<br />ARE Cap - Ruff racks safari rack --Whelen safety strobes -westin nerf -Linex - Tekonsha sentinal -Wet okole seat covers - Westin brush guard , Piaa Drivers.. Xenarc HIDs & Kemnedy Light harness.. Jotto Computer desk, Crappy delco radio <br /> member #6330<br />Photos - <br />http://photos.yahoo.com/mps007

For those contemplating a switch to TranSynd, you may find that sometime soon your local Allison dealer has a new kwik-flush cart that allows them to perform a flush of the DEXRON-III *without* diluting the TranSynd.

The procedure apparently will take about 20 min.

This has just come out so I wouldn't expect many to have it in Q1 but the cart looks like it's built to do the job properly.

Some Features:

16-gallon "clean" oil resevoir with sight gauge.

4-gallon "waste" oil resevoir with sight gauge, drain hose/valve and "clean-out" access.

15 GPM dual-diaphragm pneumatic pump w/ 1" ports.

Non-bypass, readily available, 10-micron high efficiency Pall coreless in-tank filter.

10-foot #12 hoses.

There are 3 modes of operation:

Initial Flush mode
    Filtered Flush mode
    Purge mode

EDIT:

The exact name is the Pall Transmission Cooler Kwik-Flush Cart. It comes direct from Allison and can be used with all Allison Commercial Transmissions but I expect the 1000 would also qualify.

Allison clearly states that the purge capaibilty of this machine allows it to be used to flush coolers with DEXRON-III, without causing any subsequent dilution of TranSynd.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: HDLD ]</p>
    2003 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC/SB LT 4x4, Camping Mirrors, Skid Plates, Lund Cold Front, Phillips Premium bulbs, Fumoto drain valve, Mobil Delvac 1, TranSynd ATF, Line-X, MagnaFlow 4\" catback, Amsoil air, Bilstein Shocks.

HDLD,

The flusher your talking about does not do what your looking for...

Let me explain&gt;&gt;

I'm guessing you got that info from the AllisonTransmission.com site?

That flusher is used to flush the COOLER ONLY; Not yelling, just need to show some big letters [img]smile.gif[/img] .. This Flusher is used when a transmission is replaced/repaired..
    Example: Say the Torque Converter has a bearing failure and blows metal all over the transmission, cooler line, Cooler.. This flusher is designed to flush out the Cooler lines and the cooler.. It uses air to "Pulsate" the stubborn metal debris from the cooler and lines.. When this flusher is hooked up, it's to both cooler lines and does not flush or come in contact with the Transmission...

It does exactly what you have written in your Edit.. "Transmission """Cooler""" Kwik-Flush Cart"..

With that said ALLISON DOES NOT endorse or recommend using a Flusher to move fluid through the trans...

BTW: The best way to remove ALL Dexron III (or old fluid) from your trans/ cooler lines and cooler is to drain fluid, replace spin-on filter, remove the "FROM COOLER" line (install a short piece of hose) and run into bucket.. Add about 2-3 more quarts (TranSynd, Amsoil, Mobil1) than you removed and crank it up.. When the New Fluid comes out of the Hose reinstall line and top off fluid.. I do this everyday, and have NEVER had a problem...
    2004 Chevrolet 4x4 2500HD CC LB, LB7, AFE Intake, KD 5" Exhaust, KD Twin Lift pumps w/Billet Pickup, 6" Lift 35" MT on 20" ION Forged wheels.
    Sold to Dad> 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, Crew Cab, LB, LT, LB7-Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000 Series, Autometer Boost/EGT Gauges, AFE Intake, KD 5" Exhaust, Edge w/Attitude, 285/75-16 Brigestone Dueler AT's, B&W Turnover Ball.
    Diesel Page member #330

SteveO,

I would presume you are correct. I was wondering about the reference to cooler. I was talking to a buddy that unfortunately further reinforced in my mind this was for the transmission but you are no doubt correct...for the cooler only...duh.

I do recall the procedure you mention from other posts here. What remaining fluid is this removing? Mostly from the torque converter?

Would it be accurate to say this removes 98% of the original fluid?
    2003 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC/SB LT 4x4, Camping Mirrors, Skid Plates, Lund Cold Front, Phillips Premium bulbs, Fumoto drain valve, Mobil Delvac 1, TranSynd ATF, Line-X, MagnaFlow 4\" catback, Amsoil air, Bilstein Shocks.

Steve O,
    Type "Group III Oil" into your internet search engine, you'll get a lot of hits with info about oil types, what is and is not synthetic. Castrol Transynd, and Syntec, is a Group III mineral- based oil produced by a "fuels hydrocracker" from petroleum mineral oil. Group IV synthetics (like Mobil 1 and Amsoil)use a polyalphaolefin (PAO) man-made synthetic base, which is much more expensive. Group V (Redline, Klotz) oils use an even more expensive base called polyol-ester (not polyester) and, I believe, was originally developed for turbines, because does not break down at extreme high temps. Mobil actually sued Castrol in the late '90's because Castrol switched from a Gr IV down to a Gr III base, and still called it synthetic. Castrol eventually won because the Gr III is a man-altered form of mineral oil. So, Castrol, and anyone else, can now call the much less expensive Gr III oil a synthetic, even though it is made from crude. It is more highly refined than std Gr II oils, but lacks a lot of the high- temp and breakdown resistance of the true synthetics in Gr IV and Gr V.
    That, in a nutshell, is what I've been able to ascertain from a little research. The Castrol-Mobil 1 suit is well documented, but not well-publicized, for obvious reasons on Castrol's part. They made Syntec much cheaper to produce, but did not inform us buyers of the change, and did not reduce the price. Transynd is the same story. Better than a regular oil, but not as good as a real synthetic.
    Personally, I was disappointed because I have used Syntec in a Porsche that I run track events with, and I noticed a while back that my oil gets dirty more quickly, and smells like regular oil when it gets on the headers. Now I know why, and I'll be switching to real synthetics.
    And I will write a nasty letter to Castrol.

Steve
    03 D/A CC/SB LT DK GREY JUICED, MEGAFILTERED.

Talking

svpdiesel,

Thanks for the info.. When I get time I will do some research since I'm not having any luck with the people that proclaimed this to be true..

Thanks Again..

HDLD,

If you do the procedure like I said you will have 98-100% TranSynd/Amsoil/Mobil/?.. It's close enough to 100% for me.. If you just drain the fluid your not going to get the T/C, Cooler Lines and Cooler, nor are you going to get what's in the Cooler circuit instide the trans, that's the fluid that's between the gears and planetary gears/ clutches etc...
    Diesel Page member #330

SteveO,
    I will try and dig up some stuff from the SAE on the various types, and maybe put it on this forum to settle it all, once and for all. But, until I can reference an SAE or API document, I won't say I have all the facts. George Morrison would know more, and may be better able to shed light on the subject. I'm staying out of the warranty thing, no matter what. It would just be nice to get the straight scoop on what is or isn't synthetic, eh?
    Steve
    03 D/A CC/SB LT DK GREY JUICED, MEGAFILTERED.

Allison's recommendations for changing from Dexron to Transynd at

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...duct/1099B.pdf

I'm curious as to why one would switch away from Dexron ATF? I'm fairly new to the DMax/Alli ownership and have seen much debate and opinions shared about various Dino or synthetics oils/fluids on this forum. Is there really a huge advantage in switching from Dexron ATF? Why do so many on this forum seem to go to great lengths and expense to switch away from OEM lube recommendations? If Amsoil and other brands of so-called "Synthetic" oils & fluids are significantly superior to the OEM Lubes, why do so many "synthetic" oils NOT have a true API certification label (like most Dino oils have)?

I'm just trying to learn and understand from all those here with actual experiences and expertise in lubes.

Thanks,
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab 4x4 D/A with all the toys! Rear seat DVD system with Bose 6 changer CD Stereo system. factory Extendable tow mirrors. Line-X sprayed bed liner, Westin Nurf bars, 285 BFG AT\'s on 16\" AR chrome pythons, 5\'er hitch, prodigy controller.

jbplock Guest

The following are links to the Allison approved fluids list:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/
    Click on "Approved C4 Fluids" or goto

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...duct/1390E.pdf

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=GN3465EN.pdf
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

kerry witherspoon Guest

Today switched fom dex 3 to transend and very pleased . Used the deep pan and droped the valve body ,drained as much oil as possible flushed the cooler ,droped out 16 litres tolal used 19 literes 250 ml to refill. shifts smoother,and in calgary today trans is running at the temp of oil in return fron rad, duel temp gages tell me its picking up heat from rad. Flow from rad is warmer than oil going to it.

I'm Baaaaaaaaaack!

I've seen this stuff before and it makes me cringe. There's a lot of information out there on the Internet, but you have to understand what you are looking at to get the real skinny. If you tried real hard, I'll bet you could put together information which proves that J.R. was really shot by Abraham Lincoln, posing as J. W. Boothe.

TranSynd is a full synthetic Group IV product and uses only PAO (polyalphaolefin) base oils. That's why it's expensive! It delivers outstanding performance and durability.

TranSynd is NOT Syntec............and yes, I'm yelling, SteveO Let's stay focused here, guys! We are talking about TranSynd. Don't get distracted by people who would lead you to believe that TranSynd isn't a full synthetic. As far as the web information cited above, I cannot explain that other than to say it confilicts with my information.