TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Discussion Forum for the 2001 & newer 2500HD/3500 Trucks, Transmissions & Drivetrain

Old 10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

Question MERGED THREADS: Transfer Case leak information

Just hauled the flats boat up from Florida and noticed a small puddle of transmission fluid on the driveway the next morning, hmmmmmmm. It looked like the tranfer case but could'nt be sure. I drained and refilled the transfer case and cleaned everything up. I parked the truck for a day and no leaks. I put the truck up on jack stands and took her for a 70 mph drive in the driveway.... I found a pinhole leak in the casing (casting porosity?). What's the real deal repair for a leak like this? Thanx!
2002 Chevy 2500HD LS D/A CC SB 4X4 Summit White Med. Gray Leather, Stretch Tailgate Extender, Kodiak Sidewinder Retracting Steps, PowerGate tailgate lock, Line-X under rail, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, American Racing Pythons 16X8 Chrome, Michlein LTx 285 75R 16\'s, Rancho 4.5", Fumoto, Valentine 1

Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-02-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Get the dealer to take care of it, even if you are out of warranty. It may be an obvious manufacturer's defect, which allows for some descretion on the dealer's part to help you. Many cases find the dealer covering the repair, or at least a good part of it. If you have a porosity issue with the case, the leak is just the beginning of a more drastic failure.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributor

pushpole-

DmaxMaverick is right. Take it to the dealer and you might be suprised. No sense in letting it keep leaking, and adding fluid once and a while. It might be something that could still be covered even if it is out of warranty.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributor

Talking

That is a known defect. GM should acknowledge it. They now have a diiferent transfer case that does not get this leak.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer and regional rep want to try a leak repair. I've reluctantly agreed. The repair looks like a epoxy smear at the leak location. I must admit it's a very good color match! I will monitor the results in around town driving for a while before I head out for an extended trip. I did get the key words casting porosity in the written diagnosis of the problem. Thanx for the input.
2002 Chevy 2500HD LS D/A CC SB 4X4 Summit White Med. Gray Leather, Stretch Tailgate Extender, Kodiak Sidewinder Retracting Steps, PowerGate tailgate lock, Line-X under rail, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, American Racing Pythons 16X8 Chrome, Michlein LTx 285 75R 16\'s, Rancho 4.5", Fumoto, Valentine 1
Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down

Not acceptable!

Under these circumstances, I would demand a warranty extension (specific to the xfer case) to 100K miles. It WILL leak again, and possibly grenade on you. If they are confident that the fix will fix it, then they will be willing to extend your warranty. If they do not, then that should show you just how confident they are in the repair.

A patch like this only gets you outside of the warranty period in most cases.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributor

DO NOT give in until they make the fix that YOU want. I spent the better part of three days working over a "customer service" rep in order to get what I wanted. Rest assured, it was far more than what they "offered" initially. The simple argument about an ext warranty is the desire to not be stranded one day when the known problem suddenly gets bigger

If you are the original owner of the truck and better yet if it isn't your first GM truck, you might be surprised what they will do if you make enough of a stink. Not how it SHOULD be but, that is the road they force you to go down.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:46 PM
DA BIG ONE

What t-case do you have?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

Quite often pressurized aluminium pipes and tankes can be repaired with dedicated patch kits.

HOW EVER your transfer case is magnesium not aluminium SOOOO what patch kit do they propose using???????

good luck
34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Contributor

The transfer case on our crewcab dually started leaking recently, took it to the dealer and there is a brass bushing inside that supports a shaft and if the bushing wears enough, the shaft can wear a pinhole in the back half of the case. That is what happened in our case. Dealer says it will cost $850 plus tax ,not very happy about it!!

02 3500 Crewcab Dually Duramax Allison 65k