Thread: Suburban towing capacity

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and may have missed answers to my questions in previous discussions, but I did look.

I'm about to get a 1991 4x4 1500 Suburban w/ 6.2l diesel. I've been unable to find out the towing capacity. I'm hoping I can tow around 8,500#, but am starting to doubt that this rig can take that much weight.

Did the 1500 diesel Suburban get the heavier duty 2500 frame in 1991? How about the auto trans - what would it have, and is it the same as in a 2500?

Thanks much!

Having owned a 1988 1/2 T suburban with the Banks turbo, I can tell you to not get your hopes up on towing that much. To be honest, about all it can handle is to run the A/C on a hot day and maintain the speed limit. The 1/2T got the big brakes, but not the bigger axles.

If I understand correctly, the 1/2T is slightly crippled due to a difference in the intake manifold vs. the 3/4 T. The transmission is not the same as the 3/5 T. I had the 700R (or whatever it is) instead of the heavier Transmission in the 3/4 T.

Bottom line, I would not buy it again for any kind of towing, though I tried. I towed a 24' camper trailer with it and it was very slow up the hills.

I now have a 3/4 6.5 stock suburban, and it is still a bit slow for me. My 99 powerstroke is much superior for towing. I can go the speed limit up hills, run the A/C and not have white knuckles.

Additive

Craig M Guest

8500# trailer behind a 6.2 is asking a lot. You will find hills a big problem. You will define the word "slow" on the hills. Transmission (700R4 or TH400) is probably not a big issue, but the lack of power will make you the slowest vehicle on the interstate grades.

MikeC Guest

Unhappy

Curtis,

I don't mean to rain on yur parade but, asking the 6.2 to pull 8500# is tough. I currently have a 6.5 pushed as far as reasonable, without balancing it, and it has it's hands full with my 9500# camper.

With it being a 1/2 ton it probably doesn't have the gearing, springs, brakes, etc.

Look at it closely and think about it a lot because the last thing anyone here on "The Page" would want you to do is to go out and be stranded, or even worse, get hurt by overloading and something failing.

The only reason I am comfortable towing what I do is because my truck came factory with 1 ton brakes and all the HD gear. The engine is the weak link and limits how heavy I want to go and have to take any hills.

Good Luck,
    Mike

arveetek Guest

Curtis, like the others have said, that Suburban won't be happy towing that large of a load.

I tow an 8500 lb 5th wheel with my 6.2L, but it's heavily modified with a turbo, 4.10 gearing, and beefed up tranny. Even at that, it's still a mighty big load for the 6.2L, and I still wish for more power. My truck is also a 3/4 ton.

Unlike the newer (94+) Suburbans where there wasn't much difference between the 1500 and 2500 series, the 91 models were vastly different. The 1500 is a very light duty 1/2 ton, with the lightest of axles and brakes. The tranny is the 700R4, but it is the later model so it should be okay. The radiator and other coolers will probably be smaller, and you will have the slightly less powerful C code engine.

HowieE towed a very large Airstream with his 1/2 ton Suburban, but he also did a lot of upgrades to it.

All in all, the 8500 lb trailer will be a bit large for the 1/2 ton truck, and a bit heavy for the 6.2L engine.

For draily driving, family hauling, and other aspects, the 6.2L Suburban is a great vehicle.

Casey

Talking

Last winter I towed a 5000# 1977 Airstream thru the south west for about 10000 miles. The old 6.2 did a fair job getting about 11 mpg. No overdrive could be used and speed averaged 60mph. The few mountains were no problem, but we did go slow. The suburban's origional owner had all the mods for towing installed when he ordered the rig in 87, including a Banks turbo. However, I would not go over the 5000# mark. I felt good at my weight, but have towed enough to know I was at a safe max.

By the way, my 6.2 broke its crank shaft this fall with 221k miles and I now have a 6.5 in the rig with no turbo.

Good luck with your decision
    SteveMc
    1987 GMC Suburban 1500 with 1997 6.5 N/A Engine ,3.42:1 Limited Slip Rear, EGT Gauge, DSG Timing Gears & Stud Girdle kit

Thanks for the advise folks. I finally found out from GMC Upfitters that my 91 4x4 diesel 1500 Suburban is ofically 5500# while using a weight distributing hitch. I towed almost exactly 5500# from Kansas to Southern California after buying the vehicle from my folks. I'm quite sure I don't want to atempt 8500# with that truck...

It did suprising good for a truck with 200,000 miles - I made the trip in a day and a half.

I will look into a larger radiator and some other engine protection upgrades, and will eventually use the truck to pull a 6500# trailer with brakes on both axles.

Thanks again!