TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Been and Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power
Thanks for your input HH... I actually have quite a bit of brand new info about the AMG 6500 that could change the game... Some of the info hasn't been officially released yet....

As many of you know, this web site and a good share of the content we've produced through the years have been directed toward improving the ownership experience for owners of the 6.5L diesel - we've been doing it for more than 10 years now. No other web site was formed around these engines and their owners. The thought of removing a 6.5 to install something else has always given me pause - just seems wrong.

I think the Cummins is a fine engine, but I've yet to see a quality GM/Cummins conversion that I thought added value ("both" to the truck's usability/durability "and" for resale) beyond what it might have been with a "quality" 6.5. Used 5-10 year old Dodge/Cummins trucks are really cheap now. The motivation for converting a GM 6.5 truck to use a Cummins escapes me. If you want a Cummins, buying a Dodge would seem a no-brainer....

Converting a 6.5 powered truck to use a Duramax is also a less than ideal solution for most people. It's complicated, but perhaps no more so than a common-rail Cummins conversion, and the Duramax fits waaayyy easier than a looonnnggg-ass 6-cyl Cummins. In fact, the Duramax "package footprint" was actually designed for the engine compartment of the GMT-400 body style trucks. The truck I converted was originally equipped with a 5.7L gas. I lost no sleep pulling it to install a GM diesel engine (though a Duramax).

Yes, a P7100 equipped Cummins is simpler (mechanically fuel injected), but for anyone who is hell-bent on converting, a Duramax conversion is far superior in my opinion - for a whole range of reasons (the biggest one being that it's still a GM engine).

A 4-cyl Cummins...... I couldahada V-8...

JMHO... Yours may vary....

Jim
I guess when you own the place you can get away using 'ass' in your posts.

on edit: Hey I just saw that my 'ass' went through too. How cool!

Tim

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

I like it that bad language doesn't get used here much...

Let's keep it that way.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Language? Six years in the USN will expand one's vocab. Of course the calumnies, agitprop and jeremiads used on truck web sites also allow one to expand his interpretation of the human language....

I would enjoy doing another conversion project.... A 2003 or newer 2500 Dodge converted using a Duramax/Allison and 4WD front IFS... (I would likely have to run it through the armor upfitting line at AMG before driving it... )

MP
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

I understand. Football locker rooms and factory floors are good places to expand vocabulary as well. I just prefer not to use it and like it that this site doesn't have much of that.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Good Day!

I can't WAIT for more info about this Optimizer 6500.

I'm a prude - I agree with RJ. That's why I spend my time here instead of some other Place.

"Six years in the USN will expand one's vocab." So can working on cars, at least when it's me. My kids have heard things come out of my mouth that I'm ashamed of... I spent a couple years teaching myself those words, & the rest of my life trying to quit.

Blessings!
93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles
Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Been and Gone

I dont smoke, do drugs, chase women, gamble (Much) or drink to excess. I get to have ONE vice, and I choose language.

I have been told I can strip paint when agitated. Grandpa taught me to curse in german and russian. Russian is a great language in which to curse. You can bruise innocent bystanders with it.

Of course, There are times it helps to keep a civil tounge in your head.

Tim

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

For the most part I agree with most of what Jim said about conversions. I don't see the reason for going to 5.9L Cummins when a good engine can be had in a drop in situation with say 6.5T. I have a 1971 Ford Bronco with a V-8 302 in it. The darn thing loves it's gas. Now I've run across a guy who dropped a 3.9L Cummins in an EB (early Bronco) and he has all the power he needs and get 28 mpg's mixed driving. With the 32 gallons of tanks I have on mine that would give me about a 900 mile range more than double what I have now. I think a 6.5TD would be a tight fit in the old EB but I think a 3.9 would tuck in very nice from the photo's I have seen. In fact I have located a 3.9L enionge and 5 speed OD tranny 3 hours away. I'm thinking real hard about it.
Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
207K miles and rolling.
Diesel Page member #81
Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Marty.... "most of what Jim said...." I'm hurt

Actually, the following quote, found on the site's home page, is TDP's mission statement:

Quote:
The Diesel Page is a membership based web magazine and enthusiast group, which has focused on the General Motors light-truck 6.2L, 6.5L and the Duramax 6600 diesel engines since 1996.
We'll help you maintain and repair your 6.2, 6.5 or Duramax diesel engine, find solutions for diesel fuel injection problems, increase performance, locate the best and least expensive parts sources, repair and upgrade the Chevrolet and GMC light-duty trucks, and we'll help improve your satisfaction in owning a General Motors 6.2L - 6.5L - 6.6L diesel powered light-truck.
Pulling a 6.5 from a GM vehicle to install a non GM diesel engine doesn't fit the mission.....

Jim
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power
Pulling a 6.5 from a GM vehicle to install a non GM diesel engine doesn't fit the mission.....
Hear! Hear!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
. . .repair and upgrade the Chevrolet and GMC light-duty trucks
Some might interpret a swap as an upgrade.

Between the D-max and a Cummins, what are the realistic, usable power capabilites? Not for racing, but pulling loads easily and efficiently. I have seen 800hp injectors for the Cummins, but that does not mean it should be done. If the choice for a swap is a crate d-max and a crate 6BT, why (other than GM product) would someone choose one over the other? I have seen that some maintenance parts for the Cummins are quite expensive, but injectors seem to be an issue with the d-max. I am not preparing to do any swap of any time right now, just curious.

Incedently, it was asked if someone wanted a cummins, why not buy a Dodge. I like my Suburban, Dodge does not make one.