Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double trailer towing?

NC. $300.00 FINE

SC. OK

good luck drive safe
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Default Double trailers

Commercial truck double trailers OK on most primary roads in Virgina. But definately no double trailers on private vehicles. Does not matter if it is a 5th wheel or not. Also have to consider Combined Gross weight.

CA DMV website under (drivers license --> license classes ---> non commercial license) states at the top of the page. "No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license with the proper endorsement." here's the link http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

Guess it's off to truck driving school for me

This a non-issue for me as I hold a class A CDL with tripples/doubles and tanker endorsments, but here in Idaho anyone can pull two trailers behind any vehicle with a standard liesence. This includes two bumper pulls or a fiver with a bumper pull behind. I see it all the time here. Even a 1500 pulling a tent trailer with a long flatbed with 8 atv's on it at the end. Was kind of scary to see this idiot.
    2004 Chevy K3500 CCLB DRW Duramax. Stock.

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand

Spammer resurrects zombie thread...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

John C,
    I know I'm slow and can be slow to respond to posts but I am no spammer. At least the last time i checked I wasn't.

John H

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand

Quote Originally Posted by jhornsby3 View Post
    John C,
    I know I'm slow and can be slow to respond to posts but I am no spammer. At least the last time i checked I wasn't.

John H
    He may have been referring to a couple real spammer posts that were here, that I have since removed. The towing forum seems to be a magnet for spammer posts.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Right, I think he was referring to the post by Tiverton... OP is from Indiana, Tiverton is from GA, yet referenced a CA link? Either way, I think it was mainly due to only 1 post count. 'Course, I'm just guessing what was going through John C.'s head - but then again, I've heard there usually isn't too much going on in there...
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Again a day late and a few dollars short.

I see now.

But I did see another one the other day pulling a bumper pull camp trailer and a sled trailer with 6 sleds on it. Makes me cringe seeing that.

A few months ago on a US highway that goes through where I have my home base, I saw a 3/4 ton diesel PU towing a "LOOOOONG" TT. I didn't measure the trailer, but it was a long one. Behind that was a single axle trailer with two Harley's on it. When I first saw it the owner had stopped for lunch at a local restaurant. I had to stay long enough to watch him leave. Interesting rig to say the least.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I know a construction mechanis who has a 3 axel mecahnics truck and pulls a 40ft trailer. He is set up on line to fax his "over length permits". He also has to have Over Size markings on both ends of his rig. But the truck is commercial lisensed too.

It's no doubles, but if you now the proper prior steps to properly perform a task it can be done.

Don't splain gettin by on Dumb Luck though.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I know a construction mechanis who has a 3 axel mecahnics truck and pulls a 40ft trailer. He is set up on line to fax his "over length permits". He also has to have Over Size markings on both ends of his rig. But the truck is commercial lisensed too.

It's no doubles, but if you now the proper prior steps to properly perform a task it can be done.

Don't splain gettin by on Dumb Luck though.

I was driving up I5 a couple years ago and passer a 3/4 ton pulling a 24 ft travel tailer and a 12 ft enclosed. Both were regular TT hitches.

Go figure. . . . .
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Commercial wise i pulled a 10 wheel water truck with a 28' equipment trailer behind it. Heck that was the truck I took my CDL skills test in. Other than having no power and going 45 on the highway(65 limit) I loved driving it.

I know in Nebraska you can only pull 2 NH3 trailers at a time but I have pulled 4.