Thread: recall on speed control sensor?

Default recall on speed control sensor?

Are there any recalls on speed control sensors for the 01 Silverado 2500HD that anyone is aware of?

We have had some repetitive problems with the speed control sensor anytime they get wet.

and all you have to do is drive through a puddle that splashes water up underneath the vehicle and the truck will stall, spedometer will flutter. and engine light comes on.

if you let it sit and dry out a bit or clear the codes it runs fine after that until it gets wet again.

it has happened to us 3 times in the last year.

we had a sierra 1500 and I got a warranty card in the mail for a recall on a wheel speed sensor and I beleive there was one for a speed control sensor too.

any idea if there are any known problems or solutions for this issue.

the dealership told us that becasue they are mounted underneath the truck and hang down they catch the water and short circuit.

the code that comes up when it happens is a vehicle speed sensor malfunction as well as some other loss of communication related codes.

the dealership did say they changed the sensor last summer when it happened, but now I'm wondering if they just cleared the code and charged us for the part (they are known crooks) and maybe we just have a faulty one and replacing it would solve our problem.

any help on this issue is appreciated.

thanks
    2001 Chevy silverado 2500HD 4x4, crew cab,5-speed Allison, 6.6 Duramax

Question

Speed Control??? Cruise control? I am not aware of any speed sensor issues. What kind of climate do you live in? Do they use a lot of salt on the roads where you live? Please elaborate. What DTC's?
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

The NSBU switch on the side of the Allison is a known issue for some and the first place I would look, but I'm not sure how it would affect the speed sensor. All sensors are up high and dry in the tunnel. The vehicle speed sesnor is on the output of the transfer case, agaiun high and dry.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I do know the problem we are having is being caused by the speed control sensor as that is the code we get when it happens.

but last time it did it we took it to the dealership and they scanned it and said the speed control sensor was shorting out because it had gotten wet we beleived them because it was spring and the roads were pretty wet.

they claimed to have changed it but now we had the problem again as soon as we drive through a big amount of water.

as soon as you re-set the code it runs fine, but until you do the spedometer flutters and the trucks stalls when you put it in gear.

from waht i udnerstand there are seperate sonsors, there is the wheel speed sensor which is contained somehow with the wheel bearings, and then there is the vehicle speed sensor which is mounted with the transfer case, but In our truck the transfer case is also near the bottom of the truck and the water can get to it. we also had some trouble before with some other wire corosion in the area as well that was sending some error codes from the transmission, a new wire and clip fixed that problem though.

we do live in area that uses salt on the roads during the winters, but we do oil spray the truck to prevent corosion. but if corosion was causign this problem would it no persist instead of going away as soon as you reset the code?

I really am baffled by this problem. if it helps it doesn't just do it when it rains, it takes a considerable amount of water to do it. like if you drove through a road that was covered in water washign across it and the water shoots up and over the truck, so baiscally a HUGE puddle.
    2001 Chevy silverado 2500HD 4x4, crew cab,5-speed Allison, 6.6 Duramax

What code(s) are setting. Engine and transmission related. Thank you.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Speed sensors @ wheel, rotors, drums, wheel bearings are almost always for ABS and Traction and Stability control systems. Speed sensors are located in transmissions, transfer cases and differentials. If water is a problem especially if sensor was replaced recently and appears to be in good condition I would suspect a wireing problem. Either a connector or wire insulation compromised such that moisture is causeing incorrect input signals to the system. bob............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch