Thread: Turbo Timer ???

Question Turbo Timer ???

Here is a good one! I have a customer here that wants to install a "TURBO TIMER" on his 2004 LLY pickup. Now I know what it is for. It allows the engine to idle for 5, 10, 15 minutes to allow the turbocharger to cool down before the engine actually turns off. I just haven't seen this in a light duty application. Do any of you have any ideas? Does Kennedy Diesel offer this type of programmer?

Could/ would the Webmaster of this website please post this posting in the medium duty section as well. I am really trying to help this customer out. Thanks!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Arrow

Actually, they're pretty common. Many remote start systems (aftermarket) have a shutdown feature. While the Duramax engines have less need for one due to the liquid cooled turbo, some still feel the need.

Ask your customer why he thinks he needs one. If he's worried about oil coking and he's a "normal" driver (no competition or heavy mods), explain the liquid cooled turbo, and let him know the timer is not really necessary. If he insists, humor him, and install one. It won't hurt, just unnecessary in most cases. It's his money.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Here's what he's loking for, called a Cool Down Timer ...
    http://www.bd-vfi.com/gmc/product.ph...20Timer&tt=gmc
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT D/A LB7 4X4 XCab, SB
    Hypertech PP3, K&N Air Filter, Truxedo Bed Cover, Pendaliner, Hijacker Double Pivot 5W Hitch