Thread: 2500 HD Front Axle Recall 2007 & 2008 Models

Default 2500 HD Front Axle Recall 2007 & 2008 Models

Just got a letter from GM asking to bring my 2007.5 2500HD GMC LMM to the dealer. The letter says "Your 2007 or 2008 model year Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra may have been built with a kinked front axle vent tube. Prior to vehicle assembly, the tube in kinked and secured with tape to prevent axle fluid leakage. On your vehicle, the tape may not have been removed upon completion of vehicle assembly. If the venting is not adequate, pressure will build in the tube, resulting in axle fluid leakage. If this condition is undetected, permanent damage to the front differential components could result. Your General Motors dealer will inspect the front differential tube, and if necessary, remove the tape and straighten the tube to ensure proper venting. The front axle will also be inspected for fluid leaks and fluid will be added if required".
    I noticed the other day that I do have a fluid leak from my truck - it's red, which I think should be transmission fluid, not axle fluid. Can someone verify this? GM says not to drive in 4X4 until the problem is fixed, which is difficult in Northern Alberta this time of year.

I could inspect it myself to be sure before bringing it in to the dealer, does anyone know the location of this tube? Is it on the front differential?

I'm more concerned if the leak is in the tranny - does anyone have any info on this happening to the Allison in previous years?

Thanks

Yakker
    2007.5 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, LMM, Navi

Talking

My experience is the factory never put enough fluid in any of my rears to allow it to build up pressure. I had to add 1.5 quarts to the rear and 1 quart to the front diff. I wonder if they did the same tape to the 07 lbz's ?

The letter did say 2007 model year, which does include the LBZ's as well as LMM. Can anyone confirm?
    2007.5 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, LMM, Navi