TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 AM

Default best 4 cylinder isuzu diesel ???

I was on the diesel swapper page, I noticed that diesel hp x 35% = gas hp, if thats right or is right, a 4 cylinder turbo isuzu would work good because my 1991 454 fuel injected large block makes about 265hp more or less, which model 4 cylinder turbo would be best

thanks kennyfred

Last edited by kennyfred; 02-10-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot to proof read
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I noticed that diesel hp x 35% = gas hp
Not sure where that came from or what it means, but if your vehicle came with 265 HP @ X rpm, you will need a similar amount of power (at a lower RPM) from a diesel to maintain the performance you started out with.

Your actual HP numbers will be at a lower RPM with a diesel, which means the torque numbers will be higher than the gasoline engine at those RPM's.

I doubt you could get even close to the performance of a TBI 454 with a isuzu 4 cylinder (unless it was a REALLY big 4 cyl.)

Also, Changing from gas to diesel means a significant reduction in power band, meaning that you will need to think through R&P ratio on the differential as well as ratios and number of gears in the transmission.

Good luck!