TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > Photo Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Photo Forum Introduce yourself. Show us pics of your ride.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Tow Vehicle

Default P400 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dually

I may or may not be your typical guy, who was looking for a good economical diesel truck to do some light towing and summer camping with.

I am 45 years old and have had my share of vehicles. I felt I had a reasonable amount of knowledge regarding the pro's/cons of Chev/Dodge/Ford... so I shopped the market for 3-4 months before making a decision.

I bought my first Chevy diesel truck late last year. It was a 1993 extended cab 6.5 TD 4x4 Dually. I bought it with known oil pressure issues...

She drove nice but needed another motor... I figured I would do some homework...ordered the TD Volumes I and II, and started reading.

The motor was pulled and ended up being cracked in 6 places, so I bought a budget 599 rebuild for $2,200 off craigslist. It arrived with a chunk missing out of the block around the starter bolts... I claimed warranty and got my money back.

Here is where I started my journey... I bought a "crack-free" block, certified by a machine shop near Dallas TX. Hot tanked, honed, and frost plugs installed... for $250. I paid $250 to get it to Washington State... it arrived and had 3 stress cracks in the main webs. I got $250 back but was out the freight.

I bought 2 more blocks... they both had cracks !!! I lost money on one of them.

The last block I purchased was OK's by my mechanic's machine shop and I committed a large sum of cash to build it. After the boring, decking, align-honing with a stud girdle, etc... I inspect it prior to assembly and saw a fatal crack in the second web!!! $1000 in machining instantly disappears into thin air... I had another $3000 committed to this in parts (rebuilding the heads, pistons, regrinding cam, crank, rods, etc...) Ouch!!

My mechanic buddy is having this block repaired using inserts which are machined into the fractures of the block. I'll share photos after it has been done. Apparently they have been repairing cracked blocks for years... without issues. If it works, I have 2 more to fix.

Long story short... I was ready to buy a brand new long block directly from Franklin Ohio for the tune of $6,090. I did this through a gentleman by the name of Rod Townsend and a company called WW Williams. Kennedy and Peninsular also offer this long block.

The powerplant is the redesigned 6.5 Optimizer and carries the casting number P400. It was installed after I engineered an oil pan to fit my rig. This engine was designed for Hummers which now carry payloads up to 15,000 lbs. It includes a forged crank and cast iron girdle for added strength.

In conclusion... I have spent a small fortune seeing this project through to completion... I do have a great truck, for 1/4 of what a new one costs.
Oh... and my wife still loves me

P400 Long Block, New DB2-4911 IP turned up 20%, High Pop Bosch Marine Injectors, GM-4 Turbo with adjustable 15 lbs of boost, New 4 core rad, HD Clutch Fan, Dual Thermostats, New Oil Cooler with Hydraulic HP lines, 4" Exhaust, Mandrel bent cross-over, Pyro, Boost, Tranny , Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, and Volt gauges, MP3 deck, CompuSTAR Alarm. Intercooler with dual 9" pull fans. 4.10 Gears turning 235/85R16 BFG Tires (Load range E), Firestone Air Bags, Aftermarket side Mirrors, Bilstein shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Projector Lenses/HID lamps

Last edited by JetBoater; 05-10-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Nice truck! And a very nice presentation of your project. Enjoy your toy.

A5150nut
2006 K3500 D/A
94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold
Old 05-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

nice truck
Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

So sorry you had to go through such a tortureous path to get a usable engine for your rig.

So many folks including good mechanics can be fooled by the 6.5 into thinking its crack free.

Many shops simply dont know where to look and or how to easily find the cracks.

Buying a 6.5 off the internet is a very sketchy proposition at best and unless the seller knows a lot about them he/she can be selling a door stop and not realize it.

As you have found out some folks are honest and some are not.

The freight is always a killer though on stuff that heavy.

A few years back I bought two 6.2 blocks off ebay and had them shipped.
Both were crack free and in very good condition. (Lucky)

Glad you got your ride all squared away and going.

I love the mid 90's body style trucks.

I own a 95 Dually crewcab with the 6.5 TD

Have fun and enjoy the beast

Best

Robyn
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
winer

I had my truck in the same shop as your truck a couple months ago and JR told me of your woes. I was going to stop in and see the new engine but I forgot all about it. Hope all is well now. I'll keep my eye out for you locally. I live in Surrey and work in N Delta. Happy trucking.
Brett
Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Tow Vehicle

a5150nut, rodburner, thanks for the comments.

Robyn... the knowledge and experience you bring to the diesel page is a wonderful thing! Your comments on a previous thread about the oil pan fabrication were appreciated! I saw your latest truck... its a sweet ride. i think of these trucks as Old School with attitude!

I am new to diesels, but have wrenched since I could pick them up. After studying the issue of cracks.. I believe the older 6.5's run fine with them. At least all my motors ran fine.. but died of other causes.

I was going to write a blurb on the whole business of buying a long block off the internet. I came across some very shady companies.. who claim NEW blocks, but charge for the core. I thought I would need a lawyers advise before pen'ing the names onto paper. People should be aware of companies selling Chinese blocks with names similar to optimizer... and other scammers ready to sell you something supposedly dyno-tested for 1 hour, when they probably don't even have a dyno. I could ramble on for an hour about this... it bugs me. I am very happy to have purchased the strongest 6.5 currently offered.

Brett, I saw your rig in the shop too... I hope its rolling better with the new rear end, brakes, and bushing kits. PM me if you ever want to chat.

Cheers to driving a diesel!
P400 Long Block, New DB2-4911 IP turned up 20%, High Pop Bosch Marine Injectors, GM-4 Turbo with adjustable 15 lbs of boost, New 4 core rad, HD Clutch Fan, Dual Thermostats, New Oil Cooler with Hydraulic HP lines, 4" Exhaust, Mandrel bent cross-over, Pyro, Boost, Tranny , Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, and Volt gauges, MP3 deck, CompuSTAR Alarm. Intercooler with dual 9" pull fans. 4.10 Gears turning 235/85R16 BFG Tires (Load range E), Firestone Air Bags, Aftermarket side Mirrors, Bilstein shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Projector Lenses/HID lamps
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Tow Vehicle

A picture of me and someone else... you can probably figure out who I am.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Nice Truck! I to just went through new engine blues.I bought a peninsular 18:1.They have good reputation.Just had reflashed computer installed yesterday. Hooked on to my fifth wheel today for maiden pull this weekend.Good luck!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Tow Vehicle

Have a great long weekend d.h.!
I regret that I did not do the 18:1 which was a standing option I had turned down. It will definately add life to your power plant!
Cheers!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

I also got the Penisnsular 18:1, hi-pop injectors and a new IP (and the Phazer gear drive). Fuel economy is up from 9.25 mpg to around 11 mpg, and there's POWER there under the bed (diesel pusher motorhome ). And that's not "truck bed", it's a queen-sized bed .
'94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5 In-Motion Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '87 LWB Ext Cab Ford E-350 6.9L NA Diesel and an '06 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited.