Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 water pump noise

Exclamation 2004 water pump noise

Just an FYI........... Last week I replaced a water pump on a 2004 C-4500 LLY (I know wrong area to post but it shouldn't matter) and the only way you can get a pump from GM for this year vehicle is to get a pump kit which is just the pump with no housing. You have to swap over the housing, no biggie. Anyway, the new pump has narrower gear teeth than the original one. Of course I did not see this the first time (or the second time) and when I got the vehicle back together it had a gear rattle in the front of the engine much like a poorly shimmed PTO on the Allison transmission. I ended up reinstalling the old leaky original pump AS PER GM PARTAC so that the customer can use his truck until GM can figure out what the heck happened. I guess that they have several cases of this across the country and have no clue as to how the mix up started. Needles to say, I got pretty good at replacing the pump three times later. The purpose of this post is just to get you to take a look at your pump gear teeth and make sure that you don't end up chasing the same noise I had.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Arrow

Good info! Thanks, D.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Clarifying - just 2004 LLY affected?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Well, so far this is the only one that I have come across. If I get a chance, I will try and ask the Parts guy at work.

Arrow

It would be interesting to find out which years are effected, and why.

There are only 2 Duramax water pumps, so far. 2001 - 2005 (LB7 and LLY), and 2006 - current (2006 LLY, LBZ, and LMM). I wonder if they got the stock mixed up? The pumps are similar, but don't look interchangeable. The gears are obviously different, though.

LB7 - LLY / LLY(2006) - LMM:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

That's cool that you have the pictures. And yes, the pump P/N 19168888 fits 01 - 05 LB7/ LLY in the pickup and 03 - 05 LB7/ LLY in the Medium Duty. No word yet from GM TAC as to what the deal is.

Cool 2004 2500hd lly

I have been through this whole problem for the last 12 months. I had the pump replaced on my truck with the ac delco pump which is the only pump available through gm. It comes without the housing. The gear is incorrectly machined resulting in excessive backlash and resulting gear train noise. I have had 3 pumps replaced one was an oem replacement with the housing no noise but lasted 1 year before it began to weep. Gm then had enough cores to run them through ac delco remanufacturing( JUNK) There are after market pumps available but that is a crapshoot. I have and am going to put in a original isuzu pump that I found through a gm dealer one of the last 4 in Canada. GM needs to fix this headache.
    Lafrance

We just got another GM Warranty representative in today. He listened to the truckand then took the original pump with him. Hopefully he will come up with a resolution. I have two more pumps to replace but I don't dare until I know what's up with the current gear issue.

Unhappy

Hi I am in the process of installing a new AC Delco pump I bought from GM, in a 2005 LLY with 156000 miles. I had mine installed in the pump housing and bolted back on motor and was going to finish up tonight. Then today I read your post about the gear noise. So I pulled the pump back off tonight and inspected the teeth on the new and old pump. They did look different so I checked further. As far as I can tell the teeth on the old pump are about 1/32 deeper than the new pump teeth. The overall diamater on the old pump gear is approx. 3.599 the new pump gear is approx. 3.593. That is not much difference so I bolted just the pump to the block less the housing and checked the difference in the slack in the mesh of the gears between the new and old pumps. The old pump seemed to be tighter. I don't know if the dealer will give me my money back or if I will have to take the loss but it is to hard of a job to knowling install something that will cause trouble. Maybe I can get the old pump rebuilt. If you hear anything from the GM TEC on this subject please post it. Thanks

hey mike in OKC maybe we can swap info from time to time! im only 70 miles from OKC, here in Cushing USA!

A gut from GM came to the dealership this week, took some pics of the old pump, took the pump and is now looking into the isseu. SO............... My parts dept. gave me a pump from NAPA. It has the correct width teeth and it has no noise. BTW, the NAPA pump BOX says it is made in the USA. I don't know about the pump, but the box is labeled in the USA.

Hey Dr. Olds that would be fine with me. Also Thanks Duramaster I will check out Napa. Mike

Default pump noise fixed

Just installed an original isuzu pump. Noise gone as described in previous post. Gear cut is wrong on the delco pumps. Returning to dealer for refund.

Losing a water pump, and certainly when losing more than one within a short period of time, could indicate a problem with cooling system overpressure. In an LB7, this could be due to a leaking injector cup seal or head gasket. In an LLY or newer, it could mean a leaking head gasket. Leaking, in that compression pressure is finding its way into the cooling system.

These water pump seals should survive 100's of thousands of miles without leaking if everything, pressure wise, is normal.

I recommend replacing the coolant pressure cap whenever replacing the water pump. A defective cap could be holding too much pressure, which puts too much pressure on the water pump seal. We frequently hear of water pump replacement within months of a reported head gasket or injector cup problem that resulted in excessive cooling system pressure.

The cap is supposed to vent at ~15 psi. I suspect some of them are holding more than that.

Jim

Just wondering if there has been any updates to this problem? I have just replaced the water pump in my 2003 and have a noise coming from the engine, sounds like a bad bearing and doesn't start making noise until the engine almost reaches normal operating temperature. I did use a new gm pump kit and of course I never looked at the gears!

I also replaced the drive belt, idler pulleys and tensioner bearing so those items are good!

I can't believe that I need to tare into this thing AGAIN!
    2003 GMC SLE CC SB 4x4 D/A in summit white. High idle, Pre OEM Racor 660, Autometer pyro/boost gauges , Edge/Attitude R.I.P., now its a PPE Xcelerator, Banks ram air with super scoop, Banks monster dual exhaust, J&J Millenium Boards, Line-X, Cloud Rider Mud Flaps, Bug Deflector II.

Bring the engine up to operating temperature, when you can clearly hear the noise. Shut the engine off, and remove the serpentine belt. Now start the engine again, to listen for the noise. The water pump is gear-driven, like you said, so the engine won't overheat without the serp belt, but all other belt-driven accessories won't be a factor in any noise you hear. If you can still hear the noise, and if you're convinced it's the water pump, it'll have to come off to inspect it.....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Bring the engine up to operating temperature, when you can clearly hear the noise. Shut the engine off, and remove the serpentine belt. Now start the engine again, to listen for the noise. The water pump is gear-driven, like you said, so the engine won't overheat without the serp belt, but all other belt-driven accessories won't be a factor in any noise you hear. If you can still hear the noise, and if you're convinced it's the water pump, it'll have to come off to inspect it.....

Jim
    Just did what you suggested and it sure is coming from the front of the engine. I gess the wp will be coming off. Damn all of that coolant!
    2003 GMC SLE CC SB 4x4 D/A in summit white. High idle, Pre OEM Racor 660, Autometer pyro/boost gauges , Edge/Attitude R.I.P., now its a PPE Xcelerator, Banks ram air with super scoop, Banks monster dual exhaust, J&J Millenium Boards, Line-X, Cloud Rider Mud Flaps, Bug Deflector II.

Is there a new pump available form GM?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

We did 3 different Duramax engine builds recently and all got GM water pumps. Mine is teh only one currecntly operational, but I have no signs of any odd noises.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Changed out my AC Delco pump today with a new napa pump #42349. The gear on this pump looks just like the original pump gear, best of all the napa pump is nice and quite!