Thread: 2003 2500hd, In-tank Lift Pump????

Default 2003 2500hd, In-tank Lift Pump????

Question: Is there any possible way a 2003 2500HD duramax could have a lift pump in the fuel tank??

It has a single tank. Dealer searched for parts with VIN and showed no pump, but when they searched without the VIN it showed a fuel pump in the tank. When I first asked them about a lift pump they told me it was inline, mounted on the frame. But I told them I had already looked and traced the fuel lines from the tank to where they disappear into the valley of the engine, no pump.

If it had a fuel pump how many wires would run to it including the fuel level sender??

Thanks,
    Pete

There is no pump in the tank, fuel is sucked to the engine from the high pressure pump.
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Correct. No fuel lift pump. The 6.5L has one on the frame. The in-tank fuel pump your parts dept. found was for the same model gasser, or for a dual tank transfer pump (still, not a lift pump). The Duramax equipped vans and some chassis applications have a lift pump, but it's only for system priming (due to filter access and fuel system design).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Did not pull the bed to check for a fuel pump. I did check the wiring on top of the tank, only 2 wires. I am convinced you are all right, and the wires are for the fuel level sender.

And now for my next question:
    Does the fuel tank have a pickup screen or sock????

I blew into the tank until fuel came out the filter head and then blew air back to the tank thru the return line. put the filter on. The truck then started and ran fine without dying.

Thanks for convincing me not to pull the bed off!!

What was the problem, before the work you describe?

How many miles on the fuel filter?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by harris2108 View Post
    .. And now for my next question:
    Does the fuel tank have a pickup screen or sock????
    Yes ..
    "FUEL STRAINER
    The fuel strainer attaches to the lower end of the fuel sender. The fuel strainer is made of woven plastic. The functions of the fuel strainer are to filter contaminants and to wick fuel. The fuel strainer is self-cleaning and normally requires no maitenance. Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment."
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Bill, I just had a unit out and could not find a fuel strainer. We couldn't get it all the way apart though, because of the return line. I did spray some carb cleaner down it and flushed out a lot of brownish reddish looking stuff. We're not sure if we solved the hard starting problem or not. I guess we'll know in a few days. I had already changed the fuel filter housing. These can be a problem. Terry

The truck was hard to start one day and the next would not start at all. Changed the fuel filter and the bleed screw. Primed it, started the truck after a longer than normal crank time it would start run 10-15 seconds and die.

All seems fine after removing the filter, checking the orings, cleaning the WIF again, and blowing thru the lines with pressurized air.

I am wondering about sediment in the tank. Along time ago I had a diesel Mercedes 240D that started looseing power on a long road trip. I was outside of Weed, Ca. going down a slight hill and looseing speed. We managed to make it thru the Siskyous, (I was passed by heavily loaded semi's going 10 mph) and back to Salem, Oregon. After changeing fuel filters and no resolve to lack of power I removed the tank to find a 1 1/2" deep black sludge in the bottom.

Thumbs up

Get some kilz , I think that's what it is called, sounds like Algee or bacteria growing in the tank. I had problems like that on diesel farm tractors, I even took the tanks off and cleaned them. Same problem came back in a couple of months. I got some of that Algeecide from Kenedy and my problem was solved. it is a common problem on diesel powered boats, especially big ones. But can happen on trucks, especially if they sit for a while.