Thread: Fuel filter housing replacement?

Default Fuel filter housing replacement?

I had trouble starting my vehicle (03 Duramax) at times hot and cold. It left me stranded twice now after a break from driving a long time. I left the vehilce both times for about 1.5 hours, then I went back and it started. It is very eratic in the start process - sometimes without any problems, other times it will not start. I brought it into the Chevrolet, they quoted me the following:

Fuel API rating too High
    Fuel filter housing allowing air into system
    The vehicle started 'OK" when I first started it. I'm nto sure its turning over as fast as it should. I then checked for proper max commnad pump pressure. 160Mpa - OK next I check Ed low side vacuum. Pretty normal @4 to 5". testing showed no apparent leakage or air entry . An API test of fuel grade showed it to be fairly high at 42 (compensated to 40) it should be about 37. This generally will cause extended crank times when hot. I tested the fuel system low side and found also that the fuel filter housing is allowing air into syst and preventing proper suction during cranking. The housing should be replaced.

Estimated price - Fuel filter housing - 643.70
    Shop time 2.5 hours

Is the diagnosis correct? Is this something that can be rebuilt, or just replaced? If so, how hard is it to do? Any speciality tools? Where should a person get the housing assy? Thanks for any assistance.

Wow - I'd be searching parts yards for the filter housing...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

If it is the filter head then why does it start after sitting? Sounds more fuel system related, BUT you may also be able to help this by adding a lift pump. Then You'll know for sure.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

The hand pump on the filter housing during this is easy to push down. I work the pump until it is hard, let it sit without turning the truck over for five minutes and it is soft again. I have tried this with and without the vent open. I have also tired to start it right after I primed it to hard and it still would not start.

So, the lift pump is an option? I have been searching for a thread on a lift pump product/install application. Any recommendations?

A lift pump will take care of any air in the system. I have details on my site under Dmax Parts/Lift pump.

I have a notion that you will find the issue to be injector or pump related, but process of elimination also gets you something your truck SHOULD have anyhow.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!