Thread: Transmission Temperature

Default Transmission Temperature

I have questions about transmission temperature.
    We were riding around the countryside yesterday at 35-45 mph. with no hauling or towing load. The outside temperature was in the low 90's. My transmission temperature display showed a high temp of 191 degrees. I have never seen it this high before. Is this a normal reading?
    2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4
    Diesel/Allison Transmission
    Towing 12M lb 5th Wheel Camper

For my 04 LLY yes, not that unusual before an additional trans oil cooler under truck.
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

191 is not a problem. You'll see higher than average trans temps whenever you're driving in hot conditions at speeds below where the transmission torque converter locks. Using Tow/Haul, which locks the TC in 2nd and above, can help to reduce trans temps, but 191 isn't a problem....

Jim

Default Too Much Info

Thanks, guys. I guess the DIC is giving me more info than I can digest. Seems to me the owners manual should explain what the normal parameters should be. Thanks again.
    2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4
    Diesel/Allison Transmission
    Towing 12M lb 5th Wheel Camper

General rule of thumb is 100deg over ambient.

Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Default Trans temps

In addition to the Torque converter not being locked, you are dealing with the fact that at lower speeds where the aux cooler doesn't have much airflow and you're not running the cooling fan, the trans fluid will get warmed by the coolant in the 'cool' side of the radiator (there's a trans cooler in the rad tank, too).

If thermostat is open (which I'd expect in 90F ambient after a few minutes of operation), the coolant on the 'cool' side of the radiator is probably near 190F, thus your trans temps are near the same value. At higher speeds or with the cooling fan running, the coolant gets cooled more in the radiator and the Aux cooler will take temp out of the trans fluid instead of warming it and the trans will run cooler.

Trans temps below 220F are a 'so what' in my book unless you want your trans fluid to last 200K miles. I've changed mine at 50k and 100k (even though I've only seen near 220F a couple times)
    ------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy is free, Respect must be earned.

------------------------------------------------------
    2003 GMC CCSB D/A. Stock except for GY LT285/75R16 MTR tires
    Frequently seen tandem-towing a Keystone Laredo 30BH and a 'custom' dirt-bike trailer full of Honda bikes for the family in and around Michigan.

When crusing around the countryside like that just pick- up speed (if poss)a little and let the TC lock up at about 46-47 mph and not only will everything run cooler but milage improves also.In that senerio I use manuel mord in 5th