Thread: Is there a fuel lift pump in fuel tank?

Default Is there a fuel lift pump in fuel tank?

I have previously started a thread with running problems in my 2001 2500 HD. I forgot to ask is there a lift pump in the fuel tank? If not what fuel pump and where is it on this truck. Also is there a repair manual for Duramax out there somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

Default No Pump, Used Manuals

Nope, no fuel pump in the tank. The Duramax fuel system relies only on the CP3 injection pump to pull fuel by vacuum all the way from the fuel tank to the injection pump at the top front of the engine valley driven by a gear on the camshaft. Fuel supply and return lines run along the inside of the driver's side frame rail, come up the firewall by the brake master cylinder. Fuel goes through the driver's side Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) on the valve cover to cool the electronics, then through the passenger side FICM, then through the fuel filter housing on the rear of the passenger side valve cover, then to pump. Return fuel goes back along the frame rail to the fuel cooler (small radiator in front of the fuel tank) and back into the tank by connection to the fuel sender unit. A vacuum/air inleak along the lines, or especially in the fuel filter head or cartridge gasket can cause poor fuel delivery and reduced performance. Manuals are out of print for the 2001 and you will have to look for a used set on eBay or online.
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

Arrow

Idle Chatter has it mostly right. There's only one FICM (EDU), and it's on the passenger side valve cover. Most fuel leak related issues are at the fuel filter, and usually follow a filter change. The WIF (Water In Fuel) sensor assy or drain valve can crack.

Printed manuals ($$) are still available at www.helminc.com, and are out of stock periodically (not "out of print"). You can get an online subscription version of the same manual (for a LOT less $$, and what I use for several vehicles) at www.alldatadiy.com.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Was thinking about adding some upgrades to my truck but guess i had better get a fuel pump first.. what's the best pump for $300 or less was aslo thinking about superchip, use this truck for towing 12,000 lbs toyhauler. Has about 80,000 on it
    GMC 2004.5 LLY 4x4 - k&n 77 -lbzmp-edge cs-egr b&f

Every Dmax should have a lift pump. It helps the filter(s) do a better job and keeps the fuel liquid. We make a really neat lift pump that is centrifugal drive so it has no contact to generate wear particles and should it ever stop it allows unrestricted flow through.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Ok Thx, The One For $145. Looks Good For My Purpose Could Not Find The Wireing For This Pump On Your Site ? Guess It Does Come In Kit..

My best suggestion is the Kennedy lift pump, but we do have the Universal units left. The universal is a very basic and simple unit (kit developed early on) that was used on the old 6.5 diesel. They had a fair life expectancy, but nothing stellar. They keep up somewhat to the Dmax, but not entirely. If it stops it will cause restriction where the Kennedy pump does not.

The control harness is listed under Lift pump/Misc along with plumb kits and brackets ofr the kennedy lift pump.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

ok THX THINK I'LL GO WITH THE KENNEDY PUMP FOR 195