Thread: NEED HELP---2001 GMC 2500 HD Duramax

Default NEED HELP---2001 GMC 2500 HD Duramax

I am having trouble with a 2001 GMC 2500HD duramax, drove the truck for 300 miles at 100 kms per hour, not a skip or any thing, parked it for the night, started good the next day drove around town ran well, fueled it up and about 10 miles later the truck started to miss at a stop light , skipping when pulling away and got worse the more I drove it, then while driving it it really got bad ( I was told later that it shut 1 fuel rail down ( sounded like a tractor) and very little power. Shut it off and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and start it again it would run better but still have the skip, drive it again and the fuel rail would shut down again . I went back to where I bought the fuel and they said they didn't have ant other complaints with the fuel, ( I have two dielsel trucks & thats were I get my fuel)
    The codes that came up are P0089 Fuel Pres.Regulator Performance... P0204 Inj. circuit open #4... P0700 Trans. Control System Malfunction..P1261 Fuel Air Metering.
    I had a diesel mech. check the wire harness and he said it was good.
    This eng. has had a Diabloe eng tune put in it but that was done by the prev. owner and I know nothing about it. I tried to uninstall it and it said comunicating but nothing happened.
    Please .... need help.... Has anybody had this kind of thing happen to them.........ANY HELP would be great.
    This is a plow truck and winter is coming all to fast , need to get her running better in a hurry. THANKS!!!
    Last edited by Rum Runner; 11-07-2010 at 06:28.

Arrow

First things first...

Change the fuel filter.

Pour the contents of the old filter into a clear container and let it settle for 30 minutes or more. Look for anything un-fuel-like in it. The filters are very efficient, and any contamination will plug them in a hurry. Fueling stations can go from good to bad with one fuel shipment, and just because they say there aren't any other complaints doesn't mean you didn't get bad fuel (you might be the first of many, or the only one...No way to tell). Your problem doesn't sound specifically like a fuel problem, but 10 miles after a fill-up, after running normal before, screams fuel quality.

If you are having issues programming with the Predator, it may be because of all the codes present. Try clearing the codes and try again. If you have persistent codes that won't clear, disconnect BOTH batteries and ground one Batt+ cable to chassis for 30+ minutes. Make sure the truck is already up to operating temp first, so you won't have to start all over again once the PCM is clear. Also during programming, the truck needs to be up to operating temp, battery voltage good/normal, and minimal accessory power draw (set E-brake, turn off or unplug all accessories, close doors, pull fuses for accessories that won't turn off, like Onstar) If the programmer is not the original that was locked to the program installed now, you will have problems getting it to write. You may have to contact Diablosport to straighten that out.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The codes that came up are P0089 Fuel Pres.Regulator Performance... P0204 Inj. circuit open #4... P0700 Trans. Control System Malfunction..P1261 Fuel Air Metering.
    Just to add to what Greg mentioned.... In general, whenever a variety of unrelated trouble codes exist, the root cause is usually related to some sort of electrical problem. Look at the battery cables, engine/chassis/cab grounds, electrical connectors, fuses, etc.

If anyone had worked on the truck recently, I'd focus on the areas where the work was performed. For example, if some sort of performance module has been used, I'd look for pushed pins in the two large harness connectors on top of the engine.

Jim

clear the codes and drive it till it acts up again. I'm gonna say those are not related to one another and may send you barking up the wrong tree. Check the connector on your fuel rail pressure regulator.