TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Discussion Forum for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine, including the LB7, LLY, LBZ & LMM engine specific topics.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 AM

Default 2004 Duramax LLY Air in Fuel

My '04 Silverado Duramax LLY just broke 100K miles. It has been a great truck, but recently started something that has be a bit confused. When I park it with the front higher than the back, even slightly, it gets air into the fuel system and I have to bleed it at the filter housing to start it. If I park it with the front end lower, it starts right up.

I read several threads here including this one:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...uel+filter+air

I also took it to a shop that specializes in Duramaxes and he told me the same thing. He said that I could replace the filter housing and all would be cured. But he suggested that I install a FASS auxiliary lift pump and NOT replace the housing. I am reluctant to go blow a bunch of coin without knowing for SURE what the problem is.

Am I on the right track here in terms of the problem and should I replace the housing or just install an auxiliary lift pump?

Thanks in advance for the help....
Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

I would highly recommend the addition of a lift pump although I prefer a quite different setup than waht was suggested to you. Simple, quiet, efficient Kennedy Twin pump setup. If your filter head is leaking it will then leak externally, but I doubt that it will.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks much - for now it seems to be working. I replaced the filter, WIF sensor, bleed screw and hose clamps. After that, it fired right up, but I just completed it tonight. I like the look of your lift pump, though, and it's priced right.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Arrow

If the problem continues, try loosening the fuel filler cap, then run it loose for a few days to see whether a poorly vented cap might be contributing to the problem. A cap that holds too much vacuum (like after an overnight shutdown) could make a minor air leak in the fuel supply system much worse. An air leak still needs to be eliminated, but....

Jim
Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Default 04 6.6 duramax running very poorly and a lot smoke

I have a 2004 6.6 Duramax, LB7,which will barely pull itself. It will not reve over 1800 rpm and there is a lot of light blue almost grey smoke out of the exhaust. On a scope there are no codes and the duration of opening is almost exactly the same for all 8 cylinders. Could alot of air in the fuel cause this problem?
Would love some opinions.

Thanks
Denis
Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Default re:04 6.6 duramax running very poorly and alot of smoke

I meant to say no codes and the duration of opening of the injectors is almost exactly the same on all 8 cylinders. The truck has 270k and all 8 injectors were replaced at 200k and then 4 on the left bank were replaced at 243k due to fuel leaking into the crankcase.
Thanks
Denis
Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Here's a link to a fairly recent forum thread that discusses how to test for an air leak using a modified cap.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=43065

Aside from the modified cap, we've been recommending the same procedure since the 1990s. A tightly wrapped oily rag can be effective to seal the air hose well enough to allow testing.

Jim