Thread: 1999 Suburban Exhaust noise

Default 1999 Suburban Exhaust noise

I just bought a 1999 LS Chevy suburban 2500 w/ a 6.5 diesel.
    It has 145,000 miles on it and is very clean and if the motor is as well taken care of as the body it should give me many years of service. My first problem is the exhaust noise in side. Much to my surprise this suburban came with a 4'' exhaust system, i am all for performance but I like to hear the radio while I'm driving. So I went to my local muffler shop and pick out what i thought would quite down the noise, a Magnaflow pt # 112773
    the body is 30'' long , 10'' long than the muffler it replaced. (They are both straight through type.) Unfortunately the new muffler didn't make much of a difference. I have looked at many muffler mfg Co's and can't find any 4'' in/out reverse flow type muffles that i would hope would get the sound level down to a lower level. Other than going to a 3'' muffler i don't know what else to do. Any ideas are much appreciated.
    During my research i found "Car Chemistry 3DI04L" - Car Chemistry Collector Inserts does any one know it they will work for turbo diesel ?

For those sensitive to exhaust noise, I'd install a 3" exhaust system with a quiet muffler - especially for a people mover. 4" pipes don't fit well at all on Burbs with rear air conditioning, and the larger pipe can produce a resonance. Not too much of a problem in a pickup, but it can be in the full-length enclosed cabin of a Burb.

A factory style muffler.... Either a GM replacement for your specific vehicle or a take-off muffler from a Duramax equipped pickup would work.

Jim

Are you sure the muffler is a 4" in/out? I used to have a 4" system, but it was 3.5" until after the muffler - then it went to 4".

You might check to see if either of those mufflers can be reversed. Look inside to see if there are "louvers" that stick out. One way will create more turbulence (and sound). You'll want to orient the muffler so that the exhaust "goes with the grain" of the louver-thingies.

I have Kennedy's exhaust (3.5") and am very happy with the sound (quiet). His muffler is actually quite small, by the way.

EDIT: Disregard my first statement - obviously you what size the in/out is since you bought a new one.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 11-01-2011 at 13:10.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Default Big Muffler

I bought a reverse flow universal diesel truck muffler installed by my local muffler shop
    Its BIG 10’’ OD x 36’’ long, 4” OD inlet & outlet
    I figured I would try one more muffler before replacing the whole system
    It worked, cut the noise down by a good 70%
    Thanks for the help

You might want to consider this 51" Donaldson muffler.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry...oductDetail.do
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Quote Originally Posted by TDSECK View Post
    I bought a reverse flow universal diesel truck muffler installed by my local muffler shop
    Its BIG 10’’ OD x 36’’ long, 4” OD inlet & outlet
    I figured I would try one more muffler before replacing the whole system
    It worked, cut the noise down by a good 70%
    Thanks for the help
    Good deal - glad it worked out. But, boy, I wouldn't use that shop again... October of last year to June of this year!!!! Sure did take them a long time to install it!
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor