Thread: How do you remove the fuel tank on 95 6.5 diesel Tahoe? We have the straps loose. An

Default How do you remove the fuel tank on 95 6.5 diesel Tahoe? We have the straps loose. An

How do you remove the fuel tank on 95 6.5 diesel Tahoe?
    We have the straps loose. And the fuel tank didn't budge with pry bars on it.

Any advice would be appreciated

We pried with a good sized crow bar and finally got it down.

It is leaking. Can anybody help out with a best place to buy a good quality replacement tank and/or part number?

Thanks

there are places that coat the fuel tank in and out with a sealant, sometimes thats more cost effecient than new,.

nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

I went through this deal a few years back. Steel tanks with a plastic gravel guard. Wasn't a great design. Dirt collected between the tank and guard, moisture in the dirt caused rust.. you know the rest. I replaced both tanks with polypropylene tanks. I think they were made by MTS. Very happy with the product. Missy Robyn helped with the fuel line issue! (Sawzall blade on a stick)
    bleucrew6.2

1989 Crewcab 4x4 3500 6.2L N.A. (USAF Blue)
    1990 Mazda Miata 1.6L (Just for fun!)

I had to replace the tank on my '95 Tahoe as well, due to leaking caused by years of sediment wear between the plastic liner and metal tank. I went back with a steel tank, since I figured if the first one lasted over 200K miles, the second one might outlast the vehicle.

I ordered my tank from Rockauto.com.

Word of caution: if you replace the sending unit at the same time, do NOT use the cheaper aftermarket pickup tube "sock." Either spend the bucks for a genuine GM sending unit, or use the old OEM sock off your existing sending unit and put it on the new one. The aftermarket sock will cause you a lot of grief due to the inability to flow the correct amount of fuel. Trust me on this one.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter