Thread: DURAMAX STARTS-STALLS-WON`T RESTART

We have a Duramax /Allison in the shop that will start, stall, and then not restart. No codes. Gets to the shop and starts. Anyone have a truck that this happened to and was fixed. Trying to help out our shop.

The only times I've ever had that particular trouble was after a fuel filter change - re-primed the system again and no problem.

On my 2001, when the EDU module failed (flawed case was allowing fuel to leak into the electronics side) I had the same stall/restart scenario BUT it did eventually set a code --- a minute before it failed completely. EDU is the fuel-cooled box at front right-side valve cover that powers injectors.

Best of Luck.
    2001 K3500 Silverado LS 4x4 E/Cab DMAX/Allison Charcoal/Graphite, DEL Power-Tailgate, Draw-Tite Class IV receiver. CIPA electric towing mirrors. <br />36 000 loaded miles and running strong !<p>2001 Arctic Cat Pantera 1000cc - 172HP, no waiting...

This happened to me when I accidently triggered the "security system." Don't ask me how it happened, I just knew that I was stranded. The engine would fire, run for a revolution or two and stop. The info center light showed "security." No check engine lights.

I have owned a lot of gm products so I have learned to carry a full set of tools. I disconnected the battery and waited for 15 minutes. Then I reconnected the battery and waited for another 15 minutes. It started just fine.

The dealership suggested that the "security" alarm had to do with the doorlocks, remote keyless entry and the order that those items where used. I threw away the remote controls, disable the automatic doorlock feature and pulled the fuse on the door locks. It has not happened since. It also solved the problem that I was having with the door locks mysteriously locking with the keys in the ignition! Who needs those trinkets and baubles!

Just one more thing to make me question the reliability and dependablity of the duramax/allison with all of the GM computers!

Kennedy Guest

I guess I would check fual rail psi. Local dealer had one and it ended up being the pump as it wouldn't build psi. IIRC, he had the Tech 2 hooked up in special functions and tried to control the rail psi up which kinda made it run. but once in gear it would die.

Drive a mile,

If you have a 2003, you can set the doors to lock when: you put it into gear, you attain 15mph or you can set them to not lock at all - is this what you're talking about, or a computer malfuntion?
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

Mine stalls sometimes when I try to cut off the running lights with the dome override while starting the motor. Have to let it sit about 20 seconds then runs and starts fine. It only does this if I hit the dome override switch at a certain point when starting. I find it interesting. I hate daytime running lights, took them out, and I like to control my other lights.
    2001 Duramax Allison reg. cab 4wd<br />Straight pipe with Y and K&N filter charger

Maverick Guest

Most likely a loose fuel filter or water in fuel sensor on the bottom of the filter or the drain valve in the bottom of the water in fuel sensor.

conradv,

I have a 2002. I had that door lock feature before I disabled it.

I had a wiring or computer problem. The doors would lock when the vehicle was not moving and in park. The doors are not supposed to lock with the key in the ignition and it would do that, too.

My point is that the door locks can trip a security system that will keep the engine from running.

Maverick,

I am interested in your fuel filter leak theory.

I will have to admit that I have not examined the fuel pump and filter system.

I think that there is a fuel pump in the tank that pushes the fuel through the filter to the fuel injection pump. If there is a leak in at the filter, the fuel should leak out. It should not suck air in.

Kennedy Guest

Check for a remote start! If the passlock bypass module misses a beat it can do this...

SHOULD set a code though so I'd check with a scan tool.

Maverick Guest

DAMWTR,
    Those of us that have owned Duramax powered trucks since introduction may have experienced this problem in the past and this question was answered this way over 2 years ago. I myself had a loose drain valve on the bottom of the fuel in water sensor that caused stalling. Being new here I would suggest you use the search feature of this page alot, it will give you a wealth of knowledge.

Talking

drive and walk,

As soon as you pull it out of park, the doors should lock. As soon as you put it in park, the doors should unlock. If you have it out of park and unlock the doors, they should lock again when you hit a certain speed, IIRC, 15mph.

The fuel system is not pressurized at the tank. The fuel pump is mounted after the fuel filter and is a 2 stage system, 1st stage pulls from the tank and through the filter, second stage injects the fuel.

This really does sound like a classic case of air leaking into the fuel ine, probably somewhere at the fuel filter as Maverick and JK said.

Regards, Steve

SoCalDMAX,
    So the Duramax does not have a fuel delivery pump like on the 6.5TD. So that is why there is a primer on the filter and not bleed valve like the old style. Okay, I'm a little slow!

Suction side air leaks are hard to find. If the air leak is not at the common places that Maverick mentioned, I would put a clear hose on the return line to the fuel tank and look for air bubbles.

I had this happen on my 2001 under warrantee. Also no codes. The fix was to replace the injection pump. The tech said replacing the injection clamps might do the trick, but he didn't want to take any chances. Before they figured it out my solution was to start the truck with the hood up and run around to the fuel filter prime pump and keep pumping for a couple of minute while the engine warmed up. My problem only occurred when it was below 40 degree F at night.