TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Discussion Forum for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine, including the LB7, LLY, LBZ & LMM engine specific topics.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,
Have been browsing the diesel pages for a couple of years and then decided to join up last year. My question is i am contemplating a duramax (LLY) and ZF 6 speed conversion for my Landrover ute, or flatbed i think you call them in USA and want to find out about the cost of a new one as i am not getting much help in Australia. Can anyone tell me if you can buy one outright from GM and how much you would have to pay in US dollars.Have got a 6.2 in my 1988 range rover and want to put something a bit more up to date in the Landrover.Much appreciated if someone can help me.

Garry.
2001 Land Rover Defender 130 Twin cab about to be Duramaxed!!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Enthusiast

I think a crate from GM is close to $10000, and that doesn't include wiring, computer etc. Your best bet is eBay, I have seen complete low mile engines sell for $5000.
79 Olds Cutlass, 410ci/700R4 - Currently Restoring
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo, currently 12PSI max boost
39 Chevy Rat Rod
2004 Sportsman 600
2002 Scrambler 500
2007 Sportsman 90
2003 Kazuma 50
2001 XR50
1990 Murry 46"
43 Total pistons!
Email= Dr.Diesel@gmail.com WA9SDJ
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Arrow

I agree with Andy. In addition, you might contact any number of large auto recycling centers here in the States. They have been offering Duramax engine packages that'll contain most items you'd need. Try these:

www.spaldingautoparts.com
www.strickerbros.com
www.gandrautoparts.com

Good luck,

MP
Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks for your quick responses guys!! I have been watching ebay in the past but was was worried about security and shipping something from overseas. Plenty of companies will rip you off here in OZ and did not want to get burnt!! For some dumb questions now, as there is only a few Duramaxes in Australia i can not crawl underneath one to see what i am up for!!In undertaking such a conversion what would i require to get the thing to run beside ECU and normal sensors. Is the dash a requirement because of getting codes or just plug in Tech 2 if it plays up?? Thanks guys.

Garry
Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Arrow

First and foremost, you must acquire a service manual set and wiring diagram manual for the model year of your engine package.

A matching model-year instrument panel cluster is not required, but is recommended. The IPC is part of the class II serial data loop, and makes troubleshooting and engine monitoring a whole lot easier.

I'd also recommend using a matching model-year steering column. It'll have all the correct ignition switches and other controls that the ECM expects/needs.

You must have the ECM (engine control module), TCM (transmission control module if you're using an Allison), BCM (body control module) for Passlock II security control, and TCCM (transfer case control module) if using a pushbutton NVG263 transfer case. Plus all related wiring harnesses, fuse panels, junction blocks, and related bracketry.

MP
Old 01-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

MP,
I will be installing the duramax in a non gm vehicle. I am thinking of LLY and ZF six speed and getting local engineering firm to make an adaptor for me to bolt up to Ladrover LT230 (Constant 4WD). Will probally use GM IPC as land rover dash is rubbish. Will get service manuals and wiring diagrams first to give me an idea what will be required. Had a quick look at those web links you posted and will contact one of them when i am ready. Might be easier to get a whole truck that has been rear ended, then can use all radiator,intercooler etc??

Thanks Garry.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Contributor

Having been the owner of many 88's and several 109's (Series II A's) with the little diesel - I am very familiar with the rigs. Not sure that the drivetrain can handle the DMAX and unless you are going to do extensive body work - there is no room. I would suggest an alternative - maybe a 4BT Cummins - your site.... http://www.cummins.com/au/pages/en/p...uction/b39.cfm
Unless you are careful-I'm afraid you are about to enter a brave new era of "chase the weak part" as the running gear for Rovers was not designed with anything like you are suggesting. The specs for the 2.25 4 cyl diesel are as follows:

40 KW @ 4000 rpm
140 NM @ 1750 RPM

that converts to 61 HP and 103 ft lbs - Oh Yes those numbers are correct... http://www.landyonline.co.za/specs/series2.htm
I mean can you say.. "throw that squirrel another nut"
But who knows - if you throw enough money at it -well maybe NASA will buy it!

And her's a lady who lives where I do - and they converted a 109 to an American V-8....gas BUT a fantastic DETAILED list....even Diesel info --outstanding for your needs.
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/LR/V8Conversion.htm

Oh BTW - this is a great site for converting almost anything....
http://www.onlineconversion.com/power.htm

[ 01-13-2005, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]
01 Dodge 4x4 CC - Twins - EDM 4.0 injectors - AFE Megacannon-Magnaflow-FASS-CAM-Ported-ATS Manifold-Head Studs-Triple Disc-full gauges - Edge Drag Comp - No DRUGS or Water - Bombed - 557 HP, 1135 ft lb latest dyno (Jan 05)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Arrow

I received the following email this morning. If anyone is interested, I can forward your email address to them. MP
========================================

Dear Sir.

I am settled in Colombia, South America. Last year our association was planning to move to Paraguay crossing the Andes mountains (up to 4,000 mts.) and driving on plains at sea level and high temperatures. In order to do that we were renewing an old Chevy Van C-30 model 1979 and we were to install a Duramax/Allison on it.

We made contact with Isuzu Motors and they sent us to a dealer in Miami and they had a new Duramax/Allison package on hand, so we bought it, but we found a series of difficulties that made impossible for us to continue conditioning the van.

So, in this moment the engine is in Miami and we are not needing it. Do you think there is a possibility of selling the engine there? Would you be able to help us find a person to buy this package? If so, what do we have to do? We have all documents in order, a person there to negotiate with and of course, you could verify the engine and transmission condition before any deal is made.

All your help is very valuable. We are looking forward to your answer to this letter.

Very truly yours,
TATIANA FERNANDEZ
========================================
Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Jim Brzozowski

More Power,

Is there anything you don't know? Amazing!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

2dogs wrote:
Quote:
Having been the owner of many 88's and several 109's (Series II A's) with the little diesel - I am very familiar with the rigs. Not sure that the drivetrain can handle the DMAX and unless you are going to do extensive body work - there is no room. I would suggest an alternative - maybe a 4BT Cummins - your site....
Thanks for those links!! I appreciate the points you have raised and have considered them. I remember how much fun i had squeezing the 6.2 in my Range Rover !!! The Australian Army uses modified Landrovers in Australia with 4DB1 Isuzu with widened cabs and wheel track.I am basically am going to rebuild the whole vehichle, with Australian made Maxi drive diffs and only use the Land rover transfer case as have to keep the constant 4wd to keep the authorities happy.I am trying to source an ex army cab or modify mine to same specs.
My father put a perkins 6.247 in his series 11A Dormobile back in 1980 and that is still going. Toyota has the market sown up here in Australia as they have had 6 cylinder diesels out for years.
Was originally going to put a 6.5 turbo in my ute but then heard about the Duramax and was impressed with some of the reports about it from the Diesel Pages. Hopefully can make some progress on an engine in the next couple of months. Have to organise trailer to tow behind the Range Rover for work so i can take the ute off the road. Sorry about long post!!!

Regards Garry.
Closed Thread