Thread: Warm up time in cold weather

Question

What are other duramax owners recommending for cold weather warm up time before vehicle operation? Thanks!
    2004 GMC Duramax Crew 4x4 HD 285/75/16

Kennedy Guest

There is a lot of discussion about this, but my opinion is minimum 5 minutes idle time. I typically use 3-5 minutes as a rule for my trucks when parked inside at 60

jcummins Guest

In Pittsburgh with a 'Houston' truck. I've never used the block heater, but Thursday night suppose to get to a low of 8 degrees. I may have trouble finding an outside plug where I'm staying. How cold can it go before I test whether the DMax will start or not without the heater?

Talking

I let my Espar Heater run an hour or so. The engine is heated to 120-160 degrees.Still takes 4 to 6 miles of driving before the transmission gets over that 100 degrees for the torque converted to lock up. Getting out of work to a warm cab and engine is great this time of year..
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7

Jim Brzozowski Guest

My preference is as soon as the glow plugs stop cyling I back out of the garage and ease down the driveway and once on the highway ease up to where the engine shifts at 1600 rpm's. Then I hold 1600 rpm's until the Allison finally shifts into 5th.Then MY rule is nothing over 55 mph until the engine temp reaches the first Big bar on the gauge, probabley about 175-180 degrees F. Once it does that and the trans temp shows 100, I start accelerating. I've done this since new. It seems to be what my truck likes.

jcummins - I've started mine without plugging it in down to -22f. It really rattles and smokes and is not a great idea to do that, I don't believe, but when you have to...

That was with 5-40 synthetic oil in it. I often start mine down to 0 without plugging it in - no problem at all.

Good luck!
    2002 2500HD 4X4 D/A CC/SB Schefenaker ttt-mirrors, Pullrite Superglide 16K 5th Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Rancho 9000X Shocks, Jayco 285BHSS

The GM manual for the 05 says to drive as soon as possible, to not let the engine idle for too long, damage to the cat may occure. So what is too long in GM's mind. I drive this truck after just a couple minutes of warm-up time. I gave the 02 a good 10 to 15 before drive off.

Tough Guy Guest

If the truck is parked outside, I may warm the engine some by idling but the entire drivetrain is still stone cold, I just let the engine warm briefly and drive slowly until everything warms up a bit then drive it like you stole it!

Cheers

The "Boy" TG

When the oil pressure comes up I'm gone.
    I bought this thing to drive and not to play with.
    Bugsy<br />2004.5 Silverado 2500HD Summit White, Duramax LLY/Allison, Snow Plow Package, 4-WD, Towing Package<br />Modifications: Fumoto Valve, 2005 Harley Softail Deluxe B/W, 2001 Lexus ES300, 2004 Vento Triton R4 Scooter.

Smile

Mine's a 2001 with the original batteries, last week -21F, parked outside, not plugged in: Started just fine with the usual clattering others mentioned. I'd normally plug it in below 0F to make it happier, but I forgot.
    2001 Chevy Silverado LS Storm Grey 4x4 Extended Cab LongBox 2500HD. Duramax 6.6L and Allison 1000 Series 5 Speed Auto. DieselPage member#7341

Jake99Z71 Guest

I'll second what Deerhunter7 said.