PDA

View Full Version : How long will they last?

Strjock81
04-22-2004, 09:25
Having been an owner of many Ford 7.3 diesels, I know that they are quite capable of 300K+ before anything needs to be done except change oil and glow plugs occasionally. But I do hate the rest f the trucks and all the ticky tack nickel and dimer problems they cause me. For this reason, I am ordering a new GMC 3500 CC SRW 4x4 D/A within the next week. I was just wondering what kind of mileage we can expect out of these things in the the long run, what some of you have, and what kind of fuel mileage I should expect with this setup in a mixed setting...Thanks!

More Power
04-22-2004, 12:43
This was a question back before the first Duramax was sold to the public. The answer then still holds true today.

The induction hardened cylinder walls should reduce cylinder taper over the long haul. The nitrided & forged crankshaft should reduce journal wear, the roller lifters should maintain valve lash, and the high pressure/flow oil pump should help to ensure everything stays well lubricated. Combined, these features plus many - many others should produce an engine that lasts far longer mechanically than nearly all of us need - some hundreds of thousands of miles when given recommended care.

The unknowns include the fuel injection system and electronics/electrical, which could be said about all three brands of trucks.

MP