PDA

View Full Version : exhaust brake for the LLY

eagle in flight
01-17-2005, 16:08
I would like to install an exhaust brake on my 2004 GMC 3500 Sierra LLY Duramax with the Allison trans. Banks doesn't have one for the LLY yet. US Gear says they do. Does anyone have any experience with any brand of exhaust brake on the LLY diesel? If so, what is the brand? What brand of exhaust brake does GMC/Chevy install on their medium duty LLY diesels?

wheeler
01-17-2005, 19:00
I'm in the same boat. If I am going to keep my LLY I am going to have to put an EB in it. I had a Banks EB in my '03 LB7 and I liked that. I've been in touch with Banks since July '04-- and they keep saying they are committed to developing an LLY EB, but still nothing. I have no idea if this is true but I'm hoping they might have been focusing their resources on releasing the tuning components for the LLY and now that they're out, they'll turn to the overdue EB. On a different bulletin board I read of one guy who's had a BD EB on his LLY for 15,000 miles and says no problems.

And you're right, US Gear technical service let me know that in their opinion the miniscule delay in the US Gear exhaust brake D-Celerator engagement allows the vanes in the LLY turbo to return to rest before pressure is built, and concluded that the current application for the Duramax (EXB-3554) will work for the 2004 LLY.

Anyone here running an EB on their LLY? --wheeler

tanker
01-18-2005, 01:32
I see Heath is selling the "BD" brand, which I used for many years on my 6.5TD Suburban without ever having a problem.
I do see that it will not fit 6.6 D-Max with "Dual Alternators" :rolleyes: . I don't know why at this time that is an issue. I'll check with "BD" soon and see why. I always had good service from their products, and when I called I always talked to someone in the know. smile.gif

wheeler
01-18-2005, 10:07
Thanks, Tom. Please let us know. --wheeler

dcalex
01-18-2005, 12:06
Just a hunch, but I'd bet that Banks isn't satisfied with just a delay. Their reputation of protecting the engine & drive train is such that I would think if a simple delay would do the trick, they'd have been out with one by now. But who knows....could be something enirely different than the technology.

eagle in flight
01-21-2005, 09:16
Originally posted by tanker:
I see Heath is selling the "BD" brand, which I used for many years on my 6.5TD Suburban without ever having a problem.
I do see that it will not fit 6.6 D-Max with "Dual Alternators" :rolleyes: . I don't know why at this time that is an issue. I'll check with "BD" soon and see why. I always had good service from their products, and when I called I always talked to someone in the know. smile.gif Thanks, Tanker. Looking forward to what you find out from BD.

CntrlCalDmax
01-23-2005, 07:57
I've had a BD installed for about 15K towing miles. Works great (just like the LB7). No problems so far 26K total miles.