PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice light ticking on acceleration with 04 LLY

Stephen1
04-22-2004, 09:43
I have about 1000 miles on my truck and I notice a light ticking sound, especially when cold or under acceleration. Not so much when just cruising. It sounds like something on one cylinder or injector. It varies with engine RPM. Anyone else hear something or am I just being paranoid.

It is not bad enough to make me go to the dealer, but I am thinking about it.

Other than that the motor runs great and the truck is amazing.

Steve

jbplock
04-22-2004, 16:14
Steve,

The noise your describing sounds like what I hear on my 03 when the engine is cold. I also hear a slight tick or knock around 1500-1800 rpm usually under acceleration and/or when climbing an incline. It seems to diminish as the truck warms up and it also seems to vary with fuel quality. The noise goes away at cruising speeds as you said. I also seem to remember it being louder before I added my lift pump and supplemental fuel filters but that may just be my imagination. The best thing would be for you to compare your truck to another Duramax. When I first switched from my 98 6.5 to the Dmax I was worried about the new noises but I have since talked to other Dmax owners and what I’m hearing seems to be normal. So far so good with 25k miles on my 03 (except for the steering clunk ).

smile.gif

Craig C.
04-28-2004, 15:44
Mine is ticking the same as yours , especially noticabale just off idle ,when parked or driving next to a building or something(drive through) don't know what to think about it , it sounds like a lifter tapping or something!!