PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Fuel Filter on '96 6.5TD

captainvector
09-12-2003, 09:27
I've seen a few mentions of moving the fuel filter away from its factory location at the rear of the intake manifold. I'd like to hear from folks who've done this: Where did you move it to, and how did you deal with extending the wiring harnesses? Thanks!

Phil Holmen
09-12-2003, 19:09
I have moved my fuel filter to the drivers battery tray, I picked up the connectors at a local farm implement dealer. I jus took the filter housing in when I had it off, they matched me up with some connectors. I also insulated all hoses and made sure to secure them from any damage.

triggerman
09-13-2003, 10:06
I to relocated the fuel filter about 3 inches behind the driver side battery along the inside edge of the fender. Here I was able to mount the drain at the bottom edge of that elctrical mounting plate, so it is down hill from the bottom of the filter. I cut up the original mounting bracket to make the new brackets that hook to the inside of the fender and the other to a existing open nut on that accesory plate. Any leaks will be clearly visible here. Its a pleasure to change the filter in this location. :cool:

David Brady
09-15-2003, 07:02
I recently moved my filter to the fire wall just outside of the steering column and put a toggle switch in to activate the pump. The water sensor I just soldered some wires inline to extend the harness and reconnected it and I may have to do the same to the heater if I ever move. I'm currently trying to get my Cat filter mounted right next to it, to see if it helps my occasional DTC36.