PDA

View Full Version : Duramax starting a little hard

Dave B
01-18-2005, 21:03
I'm new to the forum and joined because there is a lot of good info. on the Duramax. I have a 03 2500HD/Allison with 56,000 miles. Everything is stock except for an AFE stageII filter. This summer I had a few starting problems requiring what I felt was cranking to long to start. Worse when the motor was warmed up good than when it was cold. Found the problem to be fuel filter and low pressure. Only got 90psi when commanded to go to 160psi is what I was told. I've have had to change filters two more times this fall so I think I got a dirty tank of fuel sometime.

This winter I have been having to plug my truck in at temps. in the 20s or colder. Several times I have had to cycle the glow pugs 5-6 time before the pickup would start. The first two winters I've had my truck, it started right up even in single didgit or below zero temps. Is there anything besides glowplugs I should have checked? Also will any error codes show up or be stored without the check engine light coming on?
Thanks Dave

Kennedy
01-19-2005, 09:28
It is possible that you may have an injector or two getting bad, and the pump cannot produce enough psi (akin to your previous problem) to allow the computer to start fueling.

Ted a.
01-22-2005, 17:52
Injectors are failing.(high return rate). I had the same problem with mine(03). It will get worse and may strand you when it is hot and you go to re-start it. I just fired mine up in the UP in MI at -15 below and it fired right up. Take it to the dealer and get them to diagnose it and get your injectors in stock there so you don't have to wait 2 weeks for it to get fixed.

Dave B
01-23-2005, 10:42
Sounds like I need to get my injectors tested :confused: :( Thanks for the input.

madmatt
01-23-2005, 18:59
yeah have it checked out before you throw injectors @ it. I've had pumps alone cause this. even more so following fuel contamination cases.

Dave B
01-27-2005, 14:53
Service manager called me this AM and offered to clean my injectors on a new machine they were trying and training on since I've been having some problems. I doubt it will make a difference but they were going to to no charge since they needed a truck to use.

While I was waiting to for them to get done I learned they and most dealers in the state are refusing to work on a Duramax they didn't sell. Not very good PR for GM. Claimed they are loosing money doing warrenty work on D-Max.

chrisinkanata
01-29-2005, 09:51
Wondering if this is a fairly common issue? For the past 2 winters, my '02 would sit all week at my office without being started and on Friday afternoon fire right up at -20 to -25C. This year though, after 2 days at that temp, it will not start. If the injectors are failing, is this something that can be determined by the dealer? i.e. do they do a balance or leak down test of some sort to determine this?

Chris