PDA

View Full Version : best filters?

JoeBob
01-19-2005, 16:16
What's the best oil and fuel filters for the LLY? And who has the best prices online?

Thanks, JoeBob

mdrag
01-19-2005, 17:07
JoeBob,

Welcome to the TDP forums. Unless there has been a recent change, Racor is the source of the Dmax fuel filter - all others are rebadged Racor's.

Check out this recent topic with PICTURES OF THE NEW DUAL LAYER MEDIA DMAX FUEL FILTER ELEMENT (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000002).

There are numerous opinions on oil filters, and many choices are available including OEM, Amsoil, Baldwin, and Mobil 1. I've been using the Baldwin B1441. The Mobil 1 is a highly regarded oil filter. Try a search of the forums and you will find many discussions on filters....

Check the Advertiser's Section link at the top of the page for a listing of vendors that support the forums. Good luck.

k1rod
01-20-2005, 21:23
I think if you stay with WIX, Napa Gold, AC Delco, Baldwin, Hastings, Mobil 1, or Amsoil you won't go wrong. I have done the tear open the filter thing and actually looked at the filtering media under the microscope. The above filters were all excellent. There were others that were just plain garbage.

Buck
01-21-2005, 11:07
Originally posted by k1rod:
There were others that were just plain garbage. Fram

JoeBob
01-21-2005, 13:13
Thanks alot guys

guerrero
02-21-2005, 14:56
Just hit 500 miles and preparing for first oil change - received oil filter shipment today and opened box to find the new "Oilguard" full flow oil filter P/N EPS-6600 appears from external inspection to be manufactured by Champion and has many similar features to the Amsoil Superduty series.

Jim Brzozowski
02-23-2005, 09:40
k1rod, so you've looked at the filter media under a microscope. Can you expound a little on what you found. And why is everybody so down on FRAM?

mdrag
02-23-2005, 11:39
SoTxPollock,

FRAM DMAX OIL FILTER CUTAWAY PICS (http://community.webshots.com/album/61178762NfrhyW) :eek: ...

Jim Brzozowski
02-28-2005, 09:55
mdrag, Thanks.

k1rod
03-12-2005, 19:10
k1rod, so you've looked at the filter media under a microscope. Can you expound a little on what you found. And why is everybody so down on FRAM?
The quality of the Fram media itself doesn't look that bad. I think the things most people are unhappy about are, The surface area of the media in the Fram filter is quite a bilt less than most other filters and most people perceive the construction of Fram filters to be shoddy. Having looked at the media I'd say, "If the filter doesn't come apart (big if), and if you change it before the meager amount of media they give you plugs up, and if your cheap, ill seating plastic bypass valve doesn't leak, you're probably OK. The problem with Fram has nothing to do with the quality of the media.