PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter mounted on frame mean less air?

cowboywildbill
04-26-2004, 18:29
I know that there have been previous post on this subject. Is there less of a problem with air in the filter and fuel system if you mount the mega filter pre OEM, down on the frame near the tank? I am running a transferflow 56 gal replacement tank, would there be room? I really don't want to buy a lift pump and I don't want the problems of the air and stalling that I have heard about. Also the warranty issues of going post OEM. I am not sure what the nipple system is, I have read the post but couldn't find any pictures of it. I have just ordered the Mega filter kit from Kennedy and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

DURA-MAX3
04-26-2004, 19:24
Buy the Cat set-up and be done with it. Over a year on mine with no air or any problems...And i change it every 10k with no problems...It is 10.49 at the local cat dealer...It is pre-oem by the way...

Kennedy
04-26-2004, 19:48
Personally, I dislike the rearward mount. It's just filthy under the truck back there.

Basically, it is my belief that the "air" release occurs up at the engine/EDU so the "air" is not present back there, or at least not as abundant.

Adding a lift pump cures this all. Having an in bed tank has a positive impact as well since the location is much higher than the OE tank level.

From there, I have a simple (no charge) bleed device that allows air to pass freely through the system as it does in normal operation. Also easily reversible if you decide to add a lift pump later...

LanduytG
04-27-2004, 06:48
First I will say that know matter what system you get the filtration will be excellent. That said I like the frame mount. Install takes 30 minutes to and hour and that includes wiring. Very easy access to change the filter and air is never a problem. Mounting the filter before the oem IS backward way of doing it, but what does it matter because you still have good filteration and filters are lasting 20K anyway.

Greg

cowboywildbill
04-27-2004, 12:25
Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning toward the frame mount, I don't mind crawling under it. I am always servicing it anyway, I go overboard on maintnance. But after talking to John Kennedy, I think now I will go with the under the airbox mount.I still haven't decided if I will go pre or post OEM. I guess I will decide when I get it apart. I am worried about the warranty issues with going post OEM, but who know's. Thanks for all of your help. It is nice to learn from others trials/test/and experiences, than from my own trial and error. It is also great to deal with John K., he is a real pioneer in this field and always there to help and answer any questions. I just wish he were closer to Maryland, then he could do the installation work for me also! Now if we could just talk him to start frabricating & selling the modified unrestricted left exhaust manifold for our D/max's like he has on his truck! Thanks again for all of your feedback. I will let you know how the install goes.

[ 04-27-2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

Kennedy
04-28-2004, 06:13
Bill,

I'm sure you'll like the Mega as a secondary. I've had multiple users add the air bypass and have yet to hear of any no starts.

Bear in mind this is not eliminating the air, just letting it pass as it does in the OEM system on about every truck...

cowboywildbill
04-28-2004, 07:43
Thanks,

smitheb
04-30-2004, 05:23
I was forced to install the MegaFilter, under the air box, as pre OEM due to the CA emission eqpt. I had many stalls until I made a tank filler adapter to allow me to pressurize the tank and get a positive bleed from the MF. Since doing that several thousand miles ago I have not had a single stall. It is a simple matter to do a MF drain to eliminate any water and then bleed the MF.

Kennedy
04-30-2004, 07:37
I've had numerous users "tweak" the lines on EGR trucks to install as a secondary.

Inspector (Denny) is one of them.