PDA

View Full Version : At last an oil dip stick that works

letsgo
10-08-2003, 07:25
For the last 2 years I have not been able to measure the (excuse the French) dam engine oil level, no matter how many times I wiped the dip stick, after trying many times I would wind up guessing that the level was OK. Well I tried again today to check oil level it looked more like 2 inches to 4 inches to high so I tried and tried and finally gave up.
Then I found a piece of 1/8 inch inside diameter hard but flexable clear plastic tube, I cut the tubing 3 inches longer than the required dip stick length, then marking the exact length of tube to insert within the engine, after inserting the tube I placed my finger on the end of the tube to preventing any oil flowing out of the tube, I am happy to report IT WORKS and my oil level is perfect.

It took 2 years, but like I said I

Idle_Chatter
10-08-2003, 07:40
Well, if you're happy with the tubing, but you could also do what many of us have done to modify the factory dipstick with a little drilling with an 1/8" bit. See pictures in "dipstick tricks" in my PICS link below. ;)

DIESEL/VETTE
10-08-2003, 11:19
IDLE_CHATTER

WHAT A GREAT IDEA, JUST DRILLED MINE AND IT WORKS GREAT. IT PAYS TO READ THE FORUM EVERYDAY.I LOVE ME TRUCK. DIESEL/VETTE

David Proske
10-08-2003, 14:53
Maybe its just my dipstick, but I have not had a issue with checking my oil. Its pretty clear to see where the oil is onthe hatch marks and I have not modified it. Yes it is harder to read than a standard dipstick that we have used for 50 years, but not worth changing it.

letsgo
10-10-2003, 03:24
Idle Chatter thanks for the pictures I apparently missed that posting, I have drilled the dip stick and as you say it is quite accurate provided the oil level is below the top most hole (obviously I put a drop to much oil in yesterday), I will still keep the plastic tube under the hood just in case the oil level is questionable, as the tube is EXTREAMLY accurate.

thanks again.