PDA

View Full Version : 2004 -2500HD Duramax Review

DMaxDave
10-10-2003, 12:11
So far here is my review of my {all stock) two week old 2004 GMC 2500HD Ext/Cab Duramax, fuel mileage is 19 MPG average, low has been 17.2 and high has been 19.2, driving and handleling is good except for very rough roads. I absolutly hate the engine tic tic noise at fender well, got louder with oil change :( .Engine is noticeably getting more noisy as the days go by. I do not care for the dual automatic climate system, the manual system would have been beter for me. I have problems with the throttle being bouncey or jumpy, here on the farm spend a lot of time idleing around and every little bump I hit causes me to bounce the throttle ( maybee there is an idea out there), kinda like a weak trottle spring on a gas engine. Overal I do like the truck very much so far and will be adding an extra fuel filter system at 36000 miles as for dealer says will cause warranty issues before that but ok after and will not effect warranty after 36k. I would like to say thanks for all the info I can get from TDP and also thanks for letting me be apart of you alls group. David

chuntag95
10-10-2003, 12:34
Originally posted by DMaxDave:
will be adding an extra fuel filter system at 36000 miles as for dealer says will cause warranty issues before that but ok after and will not effect warranty after 36k. :confused: :confused: :confused:
How dumb is your stealer? The only thing an extra fuel filter would "harm" is the engine, which is what has the 100K mile warranty. :rolleyes: It's not an extra transmission filter that has the warranty expire at 36K. I think you have the proverbial box of rocks for a dealer.

DMaxDave
10-10-2003, 12:48
chuntag9,
I abbsolutly agree, all that I have learned so far would suggest there is a lot of dealers saying something different. Also I feel that factory fuel filtering system does not do an acceptable job. I would think that GM would be more than happy for a person to help this situation and saves them warranty money in the future. And yes the warranty does not run out till 100,000 miles, does not make since. David

Cliffee
10-10-2003, 23:19
Funny,
My dealer had no problem with the added Racor Pre/OEM I added. They thought it was a good idea!

DMaxDave
10-11-2003, 04:02
Hello Cliffee,
Fore the most part most of what I hear is most of the dealers is for it. I think I will have another talk to them. In 5 years I have purchased I know 11 new vehicles from them, and 8 at least were new trucks, maybe this will have a little pull on the Idea. I shure want my truck to be problem free for a long time if possible. Its nice to be part of a group of people as TDP. Im new here but I shure do need all the information I can get , its not like my old farm tractors that burn almost anything that goes through, but they even have two fuel filters.
David

maxinDixon
10-11-2003, 11:06
I too had the tic tic tic but that was at about 1500-1900 RPM under light excelleration. Now with 3500 miles on the '04, the tic tic has all but disappeared. The more I drive it, the more I like it and the only complaint I have is the 26 gallon tank.

Nixter
10-11-2003, 18:27
I think you will find that the tick is only intermittent and decreases with miles. Mine was worst at about 500 to 700 miles. Some have reported less tick or no tick with Delvac 1 synthetic motor oil. I haven't noticed any tick since I filled with Delvac 1 at 5k miles. I'm at 9k miles now. Coincidence? Perhaps. --Nick

DMaxDave
10-12-2003, 01:38
Nixter,
My tic tic was starting to go away at about 600 miles a little bit , then I changed the oil and its prodominate again, I have decided to change it again about 2000 then at 5000 I am going to Delvac 1. Im glad there is companies mentioned here that carry it, there is nobody around here that carries it at all. Seems I like the truck more all the time . David

saphauler
10-12-2003, 18:58
Hey Dmax Dave I can't help with any engine problems but the light throttle can be fixed. I think the 8.1 and dmax use the same drive by wire pedal assembly.

Theres two springs that give the pedal some resistance one coil spring built into the pot and a small extension spring thats hooked between the pedal and a bracket. I replaced the extension spring with a little stronger one and now you can actually feel the pedal. Before with boots on, a huge engine and a rough road it was borderline dangerous driving this beast. Suprised more people don't complain about this.

WARNING --- Playing around with your go pedal is serious stuff. Make sure nothing binds or can slip off before driving. If you are not quite sure what to do then please don't mess with it. Also I am not sure of the long term affects of a stiffer pedal, could possibly cause more wear on the potentiometer if the torque on the shaft isn't even. Good luck

DMaxDave
10-12-2003, 19:50
saphauler,
Ive looked at it a little but for me it is a problem, as for today running the fields checking on cattle, I know every bump I go over cause Ill be goosing the pedal as I call it. No problem going down highway. Its impossible for me not to do this. I was even wearing tennis shoes did not help. I may ask the service dpt first .The pedal tension is definately too light. Sofar this is only thing I need to fix and realy love the truck .

AlanL
10-13-2003, 06:46
RE: Dual Climate control

I have this in my '03 and I'm not crazy about it either. One trick I learned here on TDP is that you can make it a single climate control by holding down the 'auto' button for 3 seconds.

It will remain in single mode (where changing the driver's side temp will also change the passenger side temp) until the passenger size knob is used to change the temp on that side.

-Al

tswartos
10-13-2003, 10:46
dual temp zone - would you folks explain what yur issue is with dual zone. I've had dual zone in other vehicles and was wondering what your issue on these (might come in handy when upgrading to the 6.6)

andrewfessler
10-14-2003, 05:46
I have had my new truck for almost a week and I was frustrated that I had to turn both climate control temp knobs to the same setting to keep the whole cab the same temperature. IT was really ticking me off. Then I thought, hey I could read the manual, there has to be away to lock them in together.

Once I found out about holding the AUTO button for 3 seconds, I became a happy man.

My finance always likes to be warmer than me, so the climate control dual zone will work nicely for us.

AlanL
10-14-2003, 06:05
My problem with the dual zone is essentially the same... I drive the truck solo 95% of the time, so turning 2 knobs is a PITA.

The 5% of the time there is someone else with me (usually my wife who also likes the temp set warmer than I do), the dual zone is a nice feature and gets used.

-Al

DMaxDave
10-14-2003, 06:56
Dealers Service Manager Reguarding adding a second fuel filter.Finaly cought up with service manager he stated" by adding a PRE OEM fuel filter would not cause any warranty problems or issues to my truck and would be a good Idea. Now we will see if he will put this statement in writing. GM,s costomer service is absolutly no help but the information they recieve will go to the Head office, where ever that is at. All they will say is to revert back to dealer service manager. After buying over 32 new GM vehicles in 20 years and the very first call to costomer service I was dissapointed :( . I dont think they realy give a Blankidy Blank. I guess its thier problem for 6 years or 107,500 miles as this is how far my warranty goes. By the way if anyone buys extended warranty you can wait till before 8000 miles or before 7 months is up then the warranty will extend out farther.

andrewfessler
10-14-2003, 07:22
By the way if anyone buys extended warranty you can wait till before 8000 miles or before 7 months is up then the warranty will extend out farther.
I sure wish I had thought of that. I bought my truck from the dealer with 6,000 miles on it. It was a friendly repo. I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty option for $1400. I had too many problems with my gasser Tahoe.