PDA

View Full Version : DTC CODES

Bill Harper
05-05-2004, 16:08
When talking about DTC Codes, do all codes trigger the SES light, or is it only the more fatal codes? What about when running an attitude setup on the duramax, has anyone experienced any DTC codes? Any tranny related problems? Seems as though my truck is revving alot in between shifts and not hitting the gear right away sometimes, but then other times it is right there, just wondering if perhaps something is going on and not triggering the light. This is not neccesarily occuring on the highest setting either, and when cold it has a tendancy to slam the into gears. What is going on? Anything to be concerned about? Thanks for the help guys.
smile.gif

OC_DMAX
05-05-2004, 17:49
I have gotten the DTC 0335 which is related to the "no-start" problem some of the Juice/Attitude boxes have. Other than randomly occuring maybe once every week, there have been no other codes set. I believe the software they are using is pretty mature.

I don't think there is any set pattern on when the OBDII codes set the SES light. I have the service manual and each code is unique. There is a description for each code on the criteria for setting the SES light. Most reset the light after successfully running the diagnostic tests a number of times.

With regard to you trans, maybe it needs to adapt to the higher power levels. I only used the Juice on levels 1 & 2 and the tranny shifted fine. Others have indicated you need to increase the power levels gradually. Maybe ask Kennedy about this.

Louis_Young
05-06-2004, 07:53
I am also interested in what some of the codes mean. I purchased the Hypertech Power Programmer. I displayed two codes when I was setting up to do the install. U1000 and U1041 were already set before the install. Can anyone tell me what these codes mean. By the way the Hypertech is performing very well. I think mileage may go down due to me having more fun.

Thanks,

Louis Young :confused:

OC_DMAX
05-07-2004, 05:32
In general, you can use this website to look up any OBDII code.

http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp

The service manual provides a detailed write-up for most. There are up to 12 controllers (depending on options) identified in the service manual communicating between each other on the class 2 serial bus in the truck. In general, code U1000 is a result of a missing critical data parameter on the class 2 serial data line from one of the possible 12 controllers.

Code U1041 specifically identifies the Electronic Brake Control Module as the module not communicating. This module was to send data to another module and it did not respond.

For each of the above errors, there is a 2 page description and diagnostic flow in the service manual.

I would say if it only happenned once, reset to code and forget it. A computer glitch. If it continues to happen, see the dealer.

The above is what I gathered by quickly reading the manual. Others wanting to append to the above chime in.

By the way, not sure how MORE POWER can ever get his project truck to run with all the comm going on between all the modules, of which he has very few of them on an older truck. Must have a lot of errors present all the time. Guess they are just ignored. ;)

More Power
05-17-2004, 12:24
Once the initial DTC codes had been reset in the Duramax Project, the Service Engine light hasn't returned. I do not have an EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module), and the airbag system is not enabled. Those related codes will likely always be present, but they do not trigger the SES light, and they do not affect engine performance.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/projectfinal01.jpg

The truck is currently running with an ECM, TCM, BCM & TCCM. The instrument cluster is also in the serial data loop, as are a variety of sensors. This is one of several reasons why I wanted to retrofit the matching instrument cluster.

In general, only those detected faults that could affect either powertrain performance or emissions will trigger an SES. There are exceptions, however.

MP